cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL awa y from home

Moggy
Grafter

ADSL awa y from home

I will get ADSL later this month (at last)and would like to know how I can use my laptop when not at home, ie can I use the modem to log on still and is it still the old number. Sorry if this has been asked before but could'nt see it in FAQ's.
9 REPLIES
N/A

RE: ADSL awa y from home

> I will get ADSL later this month (at last)and would like to know how I can use my laptop when not at home, ie can I use the modem to log on still and is it still the old number. Sorry if this has been asked before but could'nt see it in FAQ's.

Hi,
This is a guestimated reply, I have ADSL & use a D-Link USB modem. I guess the answer to your question might be this,if you use the same ADSL modem with your laptop as you do with your desktop and apply precisely the SAME settings then I cannot see why you couldnt use your ADSL connection with the laptop for web access.

**Having said the above I dont know what the situation is with F9 & ADSL if you attempted to connect into the F9 network from outside the UK
and attempt to use ADSL? Perhaps some kind F9 person could answer that one i.e. does ADSL allow the user to connect using ADSL & his/her account from outside the UK?

Regards
Ivan

--
Moggy
Grafter

> > I will get ADSL later this month (at last)and would like to know how I can use my laptop when not at home, ie can I use the modem to log on still and is it still the old number. Sorry if this has been asked before but could'nt see it in FAQ's.
>
> Hi,
> This is a guestimated reply, I have ADSL & use a D-Link USB modem. I guess the answer to your question might be this,if you use the same ADSL modem with your laptop as you do with your desktop and apply precisely the SAME settings then I cannot see why you couldnt use your ADSL connection with the laptop for web access.
>
> **Having said the above I dont know what the situation is with F9 & ADSL if you attempted to connect into the F9 network from outside the UK
> and attempt to use ADSL? Perhaps some kind F9 person could answer that one i.e. does ADSL allow the user to connect using ADSL & his/her account from outside the UK?
>
> Regards
> Ivan
>
>
>
> --
>

Ivan,
thanks for that, however I was not really thinking that way (good question on your part though) but I meant the 56K built in modem that I presently use. Just so I can access my e-mails whilst doing the UK rounds.
N/A

> > > I will get ADSL later this month (at last)and would like to know how I can use my laptop when not at home, ie can I use the modem to log on still and is it still the old number. Sorry if this has been asked before but could'nt see it in FAQ's.
> >
> > Hi,
> > This is a guestimated reply, I have ADSL & use a D-Link USB modem. I guess the answer to your question might be this,if you use the same ADSL modem with your laptop as you do with your desktop and apply precisely the SAME settings then I cannot see why you couldnt use your ADSL connection with the laptop for web access.
> >
> > **Having said the above I dont know what the situation is with F9 & ADSL if you attempted to connect into the F9 network from outside the UK
> > and attempt to use ADSL? Perhaps some kind F9 person could answer that one i.e. does ADSL allow the user to connect using ADSL & his/her account from outside the UK?
> >
> > Regards
> > Ivan
> >
> >
> >
> > --
> >
>
> Ivan,
> thanks for that, however I was not really thinking that way (good question on your part though) but I meant the 56K built in modem that I presently use. Just so I can access my e-mails whilst doing the UK rounds.

Hi,
(sorry!about the wrong question my aploguese)I think the answer is almost certainly YES! using your laptop if you use the built-in modem then its a question of ensuring you have the dail-up modem (DUN)settings exactly correct which will be things like the area code,acess number of F9, dynamic IP address,dynamic DNS,etc,etc. Also be sure that you have the latest modem device drivers for your operating system (windows or linux)as this can make life lot easier. Ensure you also have the correct cable with the correct connectors at each end i.e. JR11 one end and BT phone jack at the other (clear plastic usually 4pin)which goes into your laptop.

**As I said before if its within the UK there wont be any problem at all. I think using a 56K modem outside the UK F9 use a different access number but the end result is the same,email & web access.

Best Regards
Ivan

--
Moggy
Grafter

> > > > I will get ADSL later this month (at last)and would like to know how I can use my laptop when not at home, ie can I use the modem to log on still and is it still the old number. Sorry if this has been asked before but could'nt see it in FAQ's.
> > >
> > > Hi,
> > > This is a guestimated reply, I have ADSL & use a D-Link USB modem. I guess the answer to your question might be this,if you use the same ADSL modem with your laptop as you do with your desktop and apply precisely the SAME settings then I cannot see why you couldnt use your ADSL connection with the laptop for web access.
> > >
> > > **Having said the above I dont know what the situation is with F9 & ADSL if you attempted to connect into the F9 network from outside the UK
> > > and attempt to use ADSL? Perhaps some kind F9 person could answer that one i.e. does ADSL allow the user to connect using ADSL & his/her account from outside the UK?
> > >
> > > Regards
> > > Ivan
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > --
> > >
> >
> > Ivan,
> > thanks for that, however I was not really thinking that way (good question on your part though) but I meant the 56K built in modem that I presently use. Just so I can access my e-mails whilst doing the UK rounds.
>
> Hi,
> (sorry!about the wrong question my aploguese)I think the answer is almost certainly YES! using your laptop if you use the built-in modem then its a question of ensuring you have the dail-up modem (DUN)settings exactly correct which will be things like the area code,acess number of F9, dynamic IP address,dynamic DNS,etc,etc. Also be sure that you have the latest modem device drivers for your operating system (windows or linux)as this can make life lot easier. Ensure you also have the correct cable with the correct connectors at each end i.e. JR11 one end and BT phone jack at the other (clear plastic usually 4pin)which goes into your laptop.
>
> **As I said before if its within the UK there wont be any problem at all. I think using a 56K modem outside the UK F9 use a different access number but the end result is the same,email & web access.
>
> Best Regards
> Ivan
>
>
>
>
> --
>

Ivan,
No appolgies required old chap, I did not make original post clear enough. Thanks for your replies.
N/A

> I will get ADSL later this month (at last)and would like to know how I can use my laptop when not at home, ie can I use the modem to log on still and is it still the old number. Sorry if this has been asked before but could'nt see it in FAQ's.

Logon to the F9 Portal, select "My Connections", then "Connection Details". Look in the 'Local Rate Dialup' section for dialin phone numbers - it should probably be 0845 1422000 which is the 'Roaming Number'.

From the Technical Support FAQ on Connecting at https://portal.f9.net.uk/supportpages.html?a=5

"Roaming number

The roaming number is a local-rated access number for use if you are away from your usual premises or are experiencing temporary connection difficulties on your usual fixed-cost access number. For connection from abroad, please dial + 0 (44) 845 142 2000. This number has been found to work in most of Europe and the USA."

I don't think CLI (Caller Line Identification) numbers are important for the Roaming Number.
The CLI number(s) is(are) used to identify the telephone number your modem is dialling from, particularly when using a 'Connect' account (using BT Surftime for cheap/free calls).

Regards

Neil
Moggy
Grafter

> > I will get ADSL later this month (at last)and would like to know how I can use my laptop when not at home, ie can I use the modem to log on still and is it still the old number. Sorry if this has been asked before but could'nt see it in FAQ's.
>
>
> Logon to the F9 Portal, select "My Connections", then "Connection Details". Look in the 'Local Rate Dialup' section for dialin phone numbers - it should probably be 0845 1422000 which is the 'Roaming Number'.
>
> From the Technical Support FAQ on Connecting at https://portal.f9.net.uk/supportpages.html?a=5
>
> "Roaming number
>
> The roaming number is a local-rated access number for use if you are away from your usual premises or are experiencing temporary connection difficulties on your usual fixed-cost access number. For connection from abroad, please dial + 0 (44) 845 142 2000. This number has been found to work in most of Europe and the USA."
>
>
> I don't think CLI (Caller Line Identification) numbers are important for the Roaming Number.
> The CLI number(s) is(are) used to identify the telephone number your modem is dialling from, particularly when using a 'Connect' account (using BT Surftime for cheap/free calls).
>
> Regards
>
> Neil
>

Thanks Neil.
--
Regards,
Moggy.
N/A

>
> Thanks Neil.
>
> --
> Regards,
> Moggy.

No problem.

Just had a thought (sorry, they are few and far between these days! Smiley ). I think that if you leave your home PC connected via the ADSL, your dialin connection may be refused as you're account is already connected (via the ADSL).

:confused: Perhaps someone could clarify that?

A work around would be to get a second account for travelling, something like the 'Pay as you go 0845' account, to give you internet access.
N/A

Yes, this is what you need to do here. If your ADSL is connected and you dial up on 0845 you will be assigned the same IP address. This means either your 0845 access, or your ADSL, will not work.

Regards,

Ian Wild
PlusNet Customer Support

Moggy
Grafter

> Yes, this is what you need to do here. If your ADSL is connected and you dial up on 0845 you will be assigned the same IP address. This means either your 0845 access, or your ADSL, will not work.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ian Wild
> PlusNet Customer Support
>
>

Thanks guys, only 4 days to ADSL and counting.....