cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL and a modem together?

re-create-it
Grafter

ADSL and a modem together?

I am keen to make the move to Broadband - primarily because I am developing an application using PHP and MySQL on the F9 server and consequently spend a lot of time on-line. Plus, of course, the speed would be nice :-)

However, as usual, I have loads of questions and hope that someone here can answer.

First, I have another domain name with access restricted to using their dial-up. Is it simple to choose a DUN connection to my server instead of the ADSL line? Can the modem be used whilst my ADSL connection is open?

Second, do I need anything else other than line activation, account upgrade, a network card and a router? (I want to go the 'router route' so I can set up a LAN including a Linux box).

Thirdly, I read something about the limit in distance of the ADSL connection to the main phone point in your house. If I opt for self install can I access ADSL from any phone extension in the house?

TIA!
Phil
2 REPLIES
N/A

RE: ADSL and a modem together?

> First, I have another domain name with access restricted to using their dial-up. Is it simple to choose a DUN connection to my server instead of the ADSL line? Can the modem be used whilst my ADSL connection is open?

Yes, you can have both the ADSL line and a dial-up connection active at the same time. Normally with a dial-up connection, when it is activated it dynamically creates a default network route pointing out through the dial-up modem, which means any Internet traffic leaving that PC will go via the modem, and return traffic will come back to the IP address assigned to the modem. So, in effect, while the dial-up link is active, it will override the ADSL link. Once you drop the dial-up connection, the dynamically created default route is removed, and the ADSL connection will be used again. You can, of course, change this behaviour by manually configuring the routing table. I find that using a dial-up connection (dialled in to another ISP) is a good way of testing "external" access to my systems by specifying the IP address used by my ADSL link. (By the way, Force9 provides a DNS entry which maps to this address, using the host name <your_username>.force9.co.uk.)
>
> Second, do I need anything else other than line activation, account upgrade, a network card and a router? (I want to go the 'router route' so I can set up a LAN including a Linux box).

For a "wires-only" install, you will need to fit a "microfilter" (sometimes called a "splitter") on each phone socket to which you have a device connected. This provides separate ports for ADSL and traditional phone equipment ("POTS") (which includes your dial-up modem), and filters out the high frequency sounds used by ADSL so they do not interfere with "POTS" equipment.
>
> Thirdly, I read something about the limit in distance of the ADSL connection to the main phone point in your house. If I opt for self install can I access ADSL from any phone extension in the house?

I think the limit is something like 30m (wire length) from the master socket. In my installation, the nearest phone socket is elctrically furthest removed from the master socket, so I decided not to take any chances, and simply ran a network cable to a different location so I could position the router near to an extension socket a couple of metres from the master.
re-create-it
Grafter

RE: ADSL and a modem together?

<snip loads of good stuff>

> > Thirdly, I read something about the limit in distance of the ADSL connection to the main phone point in your house. If I opt for self install can I access ADSL from any phone extension in the house?
>
> I think the limit is something like 30m (wire length) from the master socket.

I don't think our house is that big so I'll be fine!!! I am one floor up and 2 rooms back from the master on my 'spur' here in the 'PC room'. About 12 meters.

Cheers for the reply - seems to have cleared up most of my problems! Knew I would miss something - goddam filters!

Now all I gotta do is find a couple of hundred quid for activation, router, filters and network cards/cabling, pick a router and I'm good to go!!

--
Phil Reed
[re-create] | www.re-create-it.co.uk