cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL Upgrades?

N/A

ADSL Upgrades?

Okay, I have F9's ADSL package (not quite sure which one, but it's one that gives good contention and allows P2P fileshare etc..), it's 512KB downstream and 256KB upstream. Now when I tried to upgrade to the 2MB version, my application was rejected by BT. As F9 support will recall by looking at my file, I went from pillar to post with BT trying to find out why. I eventually got told that I have to be virtually next to the exchange to get either the 1MB or 2MB services. I find this a little hard to believe as I can get the 512KB service without any problems. My line obviously passes the whoosh tests for that data rate. I understand that it's a higher data rate and such but has anyone else had similar or the same problems, if so, how did you get round it, if at all?

I'm thinking about upgrading again but I'm not fronting out a fee if BT will just tell me the same story again. I'd like to know EXACTLY why my line failed, but BT in their infinite wisdom didn't give me that answer and they wouldn't give F9 that answer due to customer confidentiality, even AFTER I told them they could do so.
1 REPLY
N/A

ADSL Upgrades?

This is all be tied in with the distance you are from the telephone exchange and the line loss that you have.
The higher bit rate for 1 meg and 2 meg links require a much greater range of frequencies than your current 512 k link. These higher frequencies suffer much greater attenuation from the telephone line characteristics so the distance you can be from the exchange is reduced.