cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL 'Unmetered' Max Monthly Usage?

N/A

I've heard that some ISPs who claim unmetered access on broadband actually impose a max monthly downlod limit (say 20 GB bandwidth). Does force 9 do a similar extreme maximum bandwidth?

-Mike
36 REPLIES
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi Mike,

There isn't a "max cap" in place on our broadband accounts at the moment. Although we would ask you to be sensible you can download as much as you like.
N/A

I currently have an unmetered account and download about 30-40gb a month - are there any plans to limit all accounts?

I hope not Tongue
N/A

But note, unless you change to a "Premier" account prior to your "excessive" usage (depending on the speed of connection, that works out at anything over 6 to 10 GB), there's no maximum montly charge either for people who signed up for their account after 26 August. If you're a high usage type of person, you need to be on the "Premier" account for your connection speed to avoid unlimited monthly charges.

The chap who recently claimed to have downloaded something like 70GB of data over the space of a couple of weeks "without even trying" would have had a nasty surprise (about £140 for the month) had he not been on the Premier account.

See the FAQ page and carefully compare the difference between people who signed up for their account prior to 26 August and those who did so on or after 26 August -- FAQ Question 4.
Question 4[/url]"]Please note: If you change your included bandwidth or speed after 26 August 2004, there is no maximum spend for bandwidth.
N/A

dtomlinson:

So can you give any guidelines as to what a reasonable amount of usage is per month? Just so that I've got some idea as to how much is too much.
N/A

I'm not sure Dave (dtomlinson) could give guidelines as to what is typical usage. Each persons requirements are different and thus they choose the package which best suits their needs.

What package are you on now? are you on a capped or premier product?
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

Hi dingnet,

Looking at your usage figures over the last few months I'd say you were perfectly fine.
Putting a figure on what is reasonable and what isn't is very difficult and would give you different answers from different people and be different for different accounts.
What we'd be interested in hearing is what customers feel is reasonable.
N/A

as dtomlinson says 'its going to be different for each user'

currently my usage is low, but say I want to download new versions of linux - each being on a minium of 3 cd's, then with documentation this soon mounts up. Not only that look at the auto-updates for windows - one download alone (SP2) is 250mb, you've then also got updates to games, utilities and other software you may have.

You've then got email to take into account, this includes any spam you receive or warnings about blocked mail because of virus or none deliverable mails.

On top of all this you've then got to include any mails you send and any webpage you request.

Any what about video and audio streaming, this will soon eat up your allowance.

So putting caps on like BT have done, can be worse for the customer, yes 1 month you may use little of your allowance, but the following month you may go over it.

If I remember correctly, broadband was created and distributed mainly to do with the way technology is going, and with content streaming in mind. Yet now because users are using the services for what they were told they could use them for, many ISPS's are bringing in capped accounts, even if you pay for the top of the range product (ie. BT is going to be 1GB a day).

This is another reason why there are different packages you can choose from with different ranges of bandwidth, similar to the dial-up accounts of how much online time you want. If people want to only use 1gb a month then let them pay for that package, if people pay for the top of the range unmetered accounts, then it shouldn't matter if they use 1mb or 100gb a month. They are paying for it.

regards
Mike
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff

This is one of the reasons for the introduction of the Broadband Lite accounts. Our customers can now select and pay for the exact amount of data transfer they want to use.

The design of the accounts also has the advantage that if one month you want to download 2GB's of linux and Windows updates you can just pay a little more that month.

I'm not sure exactly how things are going to progress and change in the future, whether there'll be caps coming into place, if there'll be more "pay as you go" options if it'll stay as things are, but I can say whatever happens we will make thorough discussion about it and the Usergroup will be involved in any decisions.
N/A

simplyweb: I wasn't really looking for typical usage, but for what would not be considered unreasonable average usage for a customer by force9.

I know this is going to change day to day - which is why I dislike hard 1gig/day quotas, as one day you might decide to download RedHat (or whatever it's called these days), but then give up and grab a copy of slackware-10.0 - but whoops, you're already over your 1gig/day allowance!

But if there was a general *guideline* to follow, such as 1 gig a day, then I would be a lot more comfortable - sure, maybe sometimes the usage goes up to 3-4 gigs a day, but as most of the time you're averaging 100-200megs/day, it all works out fairly reasonably when averaged over a couple of weeks, or a month, or a year.

Myself, I'm on the "premier" product, I think it's called (signed up before all this usage quota malarky came around!), so I suppose I sort of have unlimited bandwidth.. but if the break-even point that BT based pricing of the DSL system to ISP's is at 1gig a day (Huh), then if I saturate the link with 5gigs traffic each day, I can see that force9 could be loosing money - which can't be a good thing as if enough people do it you'll be forced to remove the flexible usage structure available on the premier account and cap all accounts!

As for the idea of Broadband Lite, I don't think it's for me really - I don't want to have to worry about how much I'm downloading (or how long I'm spending on line - I remember the poor old days of 28k8 metered dialup!). Flexibility is the great attraction of the premier account - I've got the bandwidth if I need it, and there's no need to worry about a big bill at the end of the month.

dtomlinson:

You mention a situation where one month one needs to download 2GB of linux/Windows updates... 2GB per *month*?? I think you should have another look at what the usage for my account *yesterday* was!

Really am going to have to speak to my flatmates about this.

Thanks for the comments, everyone!
N/A

dingnet,

Since your on a Premier account you have no bandwith limit to be concerned about. It's also worth bearing in mind, that capped accounts were only launched recently compared to uncapped accounts.

If Plus Net who own Force9 and Free-online, didn't make money from the premier accounts, what incentive would they have to offer them.

I'm confused as to why your worring about something like bandwidth when at the moment you don't have a limit. I could understand if a limit is brought in, but it hasn't been. Maybe I'm missing something, I don't know.

Cheers,

Aaron
N/A

Bandwidth Useage!

Hello,

I was quite appreciative of this discussion thread as it has answered my own questions on this subject. I think if your new or relatively new to ADSL then the question of how much bandwidth can I use before its considered to much or over the top (excessive) is a reasonable one. I dont recall seing F9 state any where information about bandwidth limits when describing the features of their various account types, if "no limit's" are NOT overtly mentioned then its not suprising that this question arises.

Anyway thanks to everyone in this thread for answering my own questions
:-) Ivan
N/A

Hi All,

Well searching though the product guides I found Monthly Bandwidth examples This show examples of how much bandwidth could be used for e-mail, surfing the web etc.

I pulled the following passage from the FAQ section from the link above.

16. Which bandwidth option should I choose?
If you're not sure how much bandwidth you will use each month, you may find our Monthly Bandwidth Examples useful. Don't worry if you choose an included bandwidth level now and you find your needs change - you can move to a different package later without cancelling your service. If you need more than the included bandwidth options, you can choose the Premier option which offers you greater bandwidth usage.

I think the last part, which I've highlighted, is confusing. It doesn't explain the a premier account has no bandwidth limit.

So like Ivan and after seeing this, I can understand why people are asking these questions.
N/A

I'm actually approaching this from a slightly different angle: I don't want to know what the technical maximum amount of data I can transfer over my (unrestricted) DSL account is, per month. I'm wanting to know what kinds of usage would, if multiplied by 10,000 users, result in force9 having to take a look at their pricing structure and think, "Hey, we're loosing money on these bandwidth-hungry users, lets either increase the costs of the unrestricted accounts, or cap them all at 1gig/day". So I want to know what would cause this situation to arise, so that I can do my bit to prevent any future negative changes to the account bandwidth/pricing scheme.

My reasoning is that 2 years ago when I came to force9 DSL, there were no limits on any of the accounts - use as much bandwidth as you want, it doesn't say anywhere what the maximum allowable amount is per month.

This was the case with all ISP as far as I'm aware (except NTL, who were mumbling about 1gig/day quotas). Then suddenly all the ISP's started going to various capped-bandwidth accounts with varying pricing structures. If there is no problem at all with saturating a 512kb line 24/7 (in practise, this means about 4-6 gigs of total upstream/downstram traffic a day), then why change a capped-bandwidth structure?

One theory is that the change came about because if you use too much bandwidth you cost force9 more money in bandwidth costs than they make from your monthly subscription! Which, if done 10,000 times over, would force9 them to reconsider their pricing structure.

Another possibility is that it could have been because by offering less bandwidth, cheaper accounts can be offered (with less bandwidth), attracting more people to switch from dial-up to broadband.

So what I really want to know is, if 10,000 users all maxed out their DSL for a month (perhaps 1.7pb of bandwidth!!), would this cause force9 a loss or do the monthly fees of 10,000 users cover this?

How much does bandwidth cost for an ISP anyway? How is it priced, out of interest?
N/A

I suspect some of the reasons for the capped accounts, is to make ADSL more attractive since the costs are lower and to take business from Dial up. We also live in a world where people are concerned about the amount of or size of etc, where people only want to pay for what they are using.

The technical maxmium for your account, would be a maxed out connection for one month. I'm not sure where this is going? You have a premier account, which has no imposed limit.

If Plus Net were to change their policy regarding Premier accounts, it would be a business desicison based on all the premier accounts, their costs etc and other factors, not just one account.

From what I understand, ADSL is priced at a flat rate for all ISP's, but I don't know the cost off hand or how it's actually charged, i.e. units. I think the ADSLGuide web site might have that sort of information.

I think your worrying about something that hasn't yet come to pass, and while it would be a sad day if a limit was placed, there isn't one at the moment. I would make best use of your connection, rather that worry about what if's .

Cheers,

Aaron Cheesy