cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL Router

N/A

ADSL Router

Can anyone recommend a good adsl wireless router to buy, one that is easy to setup and that has very good security.
18 REPLIES
N/A

ADSL Router

i have the netgear dg834, i a really like it

the new ones look even better, the RANGEmax one look's really good.
N/A

ADSL Router

I've been trying to look for 108Mps modem/router for a while, seen the netgear but am being a bit put off by the -ve feedback
N/A

ADSL Router

what have you heard about the product?
N/A

ADSL Router

i've got the D-Link DSL-G904T package which is just a DSL-G604T adsl modem/router with DWL-G122 802.11G Wireless USB Adapter.

I found it to be a very easy router to setup

also easy to configure firewall, works with P2P software and online games

has WEP and WPA security, I use WEP at moment because got a 11b wireless card on my freeview box.

you can lock wireless connections to mac addresses as well to prevent un-authorised access

regards
mike
N/A

ADSL Router

what have you heard about the product?

I read alot about drop outs, generally people whinging about netgear not sorting out this drop out problem
N/A

ADSL Router

i have 2 wifi set-ups my old bt voyager 2000 and a new netgear dg834g the bt system will stay up for ever never needs rebooted good ping times in games verry good set up bar the range. the new netgear still trying to get it working well sames like it keeps droping the dns - think it maybe the mtu settings (anyone know wot they should be for f9?) i have dmz'ed bouth and use a firewall on the pc so davidsingh1234 if you want ease of use verry long up times and good security but dont need a lot of range then one of the bt voyager modem/routers as to netgear well i would have a look at there forums to see how many ppl are haveing a lot of probs
N/A

ADSL Router

another f9 member only 2 doors away from me has a netgear and having nothing but problems with it.

hopefully when we both have some spare time i'll look at his router and see what i can find out about it.

one thing for sure is don't use the software you got with it, and don't download the updated drivers from microsoft update page for your wireless card...

regards
mike
N/A

ADSL Router

i am useing xpsp2 to run them not there software (have tryed that) today tryed seting mtu to 1500 now can open all web pages but pings still suck thank god i got this netgear dg834g free.
N/A

ADSL Routers

I agree with Mike's comments re the D-Link DSL904 kit. It's a simple router to configure for F9 use and is very good value for money.

I've had experience of setting up Netgear and Buffalo routers (albeit with other ISPs) and the D-Link was very straightforward.

Fred
N/A

Re: ADSL Router

I purchased the Netgear 834, had to phone the support line, guy on the other end got me up and running in ten minutes. Problem was my PC was trying to connect to the internet. Under the control panel, under internet propertie under connections make sure you sellect the option never dial a connection and under the Lan settings untick all boxes. Also under the General tab make sure you delete all cookies, all files and clear the history. This what I had to do.
N/A

Re: ADSL Router

I purchased the Netgear 834, had to phone the support line, guy on the other end got me up and running in ten minutes. Problem was my PC was trying to connect to the internet. Under the control panel, under internet propertie under connections make sure you sellect the option never dial a connection and under the Lan settings untick all boxes. Also under the General tab make sure you delete all cookies, all files and clear the history. This what I had to do.

I take it you were using dialup before, the problems I have been hearing about are more concerned with the adsl and the wireless transmission, also have you the the 834GTHuh
sjkirky
Grafter

ADSL Router

Cool, I came on here to ask the very same question. I'm currently having an office built out the back of my house, and I'm starting to use a work laptop as well as my desktop machine, so the USB modem ain't the best anymore.

The general perception of NetGear is that their systems are pretty good but their customer service sucks in the extreme. Probably worth a look.

But the D-Link stuff seems to be quite good, too. Has anyone much experience with LinkSys stuff? We did have a wireless router in work, and it was a LinkSys one. The one thinng that has shocked me is the price. The last time I looked at routers, they were up round the £80-90 mark - clearly no longer the case! Class...
N/A

ADSL Router

there is new firmware for the netgear 834gt, apparently it is a bit more stable according to the netgear forums, I shall be watching with interest
N/A

ADSL Router

I have a DG834G it is very good no problems with it at all.

I did buy a DG834GT for my father in law. It wouldn't sync to his ADSL line at all. He does live in a remote area with a long phone line. But his standard USB modem supplied by F9 connected ok, the router won't. Perhaps the modem is not so good on this model. I haven't tried my 834G on his line nor have I tried the 834GT on my line.

I didn't get anything sensible from netgear support just the usual scripted replies of did you plug it in, setup the pppoA etc, do the login to your ISP. I couldn't make them understand that this was pointless as the modem had not synced eg failed to spot the ADSL signal on the line but the USB modem did work ok.