cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL Question

Community Veteran

ADSL Question

Greetings,
I am currently using F9 adsl with an alcatal usb modem and FreeBSD.
I was wondering if anyone has had experience with PCI ADSL modems and FreeBSD, and can point me in the right direction to find a suitable one.

Cheers,
Andrew D Wiles
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
2 REPLIES
N/A

ADSL Question

I got mine up and running ok on Gentoo a while ago, im on an ethernet one now. How this differs to bsd, not too sure - but here goes.

I am not quite sure if you have your ports tree set up for application install, and what kernel version you are running, but I had to add everything PPP to the kernel and then modprobe it in /etc/autoload.d/kernel-2.6 for load on boot. These were ppp_generic, ppp_async and a few other ones, I cant quite remember.

Next I had to download http://home.planet.nl/~andje000/mgmt.o and then copy that to /home/user. Upon the kernel config, it should have created a /etc/conf.d/speedtouch file which you need ot edit and then edit the line which says "# microcode=" to "microcode = "/home/user/mgmt.o"

Next you have to configure ppp in /etc/ppp/peers/adsl and edit this file. Upon the kenel build, there is a adsl.sample which exists in the same dir, so just use that one, and then open it up and make sure your right username and password is in there. You also have to do this to /etc/ppp/pap-secrets (i think).

Once all this is done, just goto your init script dir and run speedtouch - /etc/rc.d/init.d/speedtouch start. You may need to download the speedtouch package - i really cant remember how I did this - I think speedtouch was in the portage tree, im not on linux at the moment so I cant check.
Hope this helps
N/A

ADSL Question

Sorry just read your post and saw you want help on the pci one Smiley Never done this so not too sure, but I imagine that you just make sure you have the right modules loaded to access the card. I would download pciutils and then lspci and start from there, and start looking at my /proc dir to see if I can access some of the devices.