cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL Modem Safely Remove Hardware Icon

MickHeaton

Wonder if anyone can help...

I recently instaled the USB Binatone modem and all has been setup very successfully (unlike a few other unfortunate souls I have read about) but I now have a permanent icon in the system tray, the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon and obviously I cannot remove the hardware as I need it!!

Is there some solution or am I stuck with it?

Thanks in advance for any constructive help.

Mick Heaton
5 REPLIES
N/A

System Tray Icons

Hi,
In genral terms any thing (hardware or software related) that appears in your windows system tray (usually found at the bottom right corner of your screen)
shows that the item is active and is loaded into your computers working memory.

**Yes! your right of course the modem will show in the system tray when working and so Yes! its not a good idea to remove it if you need it.

**Note: with some applications (software programs) its possible to put to touch (highlight) the system tray icon in question with the mouse pointer and use the right click button of the mouse. This often brings up a small floating menu, which might (and I stress MIGHT!!) give you the option to exit from the program or modem or whatever.

**Yes! some system tray items load on start up and some items are loaded into the sys tray bye default and dont appear to be removalable (there indeed might be some clever way to remove them that I'm not aware of?).

**With USB devices right clicking the icon usually allows you to start or safely stop the USB device or service in question. Is say safely because if you want to remove a USB device such as a modem then its best to stop the device/service first before physically removing it.

Hope this helps Ivan Cool
MickHeaton

Thanks for the reply.

I realise that some applications do result in icons but this particular one is usually associated with semi permanent or removable storage device such as cameras etc and not with items which will not be removed.

So the problem ( or irritation ) I have is the icon there and how to stop it. It is really a very minor issue but still pi**es you off to a degree when there is no apparent need.

To have it disappear would be the end result I want but the method used to accomplish this eludes me.

I can live with it but do not want to.......

cheers,

Mick Heaton
N/A

Replying

Hi Mike,

I understand the things your saying about the icon/s & the system tray and your feelings about them. If its any consolation I feel the same way many times, its a total pain not being able to get rid of something like that. My annoyance is with the windows volume control icon which I cannot get rid of from my system tray and like you just have to live with. Its just one of those very annoying windows or microsoft things and Yes! one just has to live with them, hay ho!!

Regards Ivan
:?
MickHeaton

Volume Control

Hi,

Thanks again.

With reference to your volume control have you tried:

Start > Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices

In this box there are 5 tabs, at the top, click volume and in device volume there should be a box for Place Volume Icon in Task Bar, Un-Check this box and then click apply and you should have rid of the little blighter.

Hope this helps,

Mick
N/A

Yep!!

Hi,
Thanks for that one,Yep! it worked Hooray!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheers once again,great
Ivan :lol: