cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL Connectivity Update

N/A

ADSL Connectivity Update

Dear Customer,

In reference to the previous posting regarding the brief routing outages being experienced on our ADSL network we are now in a position to provide further details about the problem and how we intend to resolve it. The symptoms of this problem have been no data transfer for periods of upto 2 minutes, occurring two or three times a day. This afternoon, we completed a process of investigation in conjunction with our supplier and we have now identified the reason for the routing problems currently occurring on our DSL platform.

This issue revolves around a bug within the software which drives the Redback unit, which was recently installed on our network. Redback Networks, who provide the equipment have confirmed that they are aware of this problem and are already working on a fix in the form of a software upgrade. This upgrade will not be available until mid December and as such they have proposed an alternative solution which will provide a short term resolution.

The bug in question affects configurations which use multiple Ethernet links to connect the Redback unit to the core network. In our network three such links are used and the bug is causing these links to drop from time to time. Redback Networks will provide a workaround to this in the form of a high speed 'Gigabit' connection to replace the current Ethernet links. They have informed us that they will be in a position to make this change before the end of the week, and we have planned a maintenance window for 5AM on Friday morning. In the event that any of these details change we will post further updates as appropriate.

Due to the nature of the issue and the difficulty we have had in identifying and replicating the drop in routing, coupled with other recent routing problems on our network, it has taken longer than usual for us to recognise and diagnose this problem. We would like to offer our apologies to any ADSL customer who has been affected by this and we would especially like to express thanks to our online gaming community for bringing these problems to our attention over recent days.

With Regards,

Customer Support

--
| David Watson. Unmetered & ADSL solutions
| Technical Support. for Home & Business
| PlusNet Technologies Ltd. @ http://www.plus.net
+ ----- My Referrals - It pays to recommend PlusNet ----- +
4 REPLIES
N/A

RE: ADSL Connectivity Update

This is not a 'brief' outage - I have had no data transfer for four days, and it looks like it will remain so for another three days, making one whole week of no ADSL service from f9, as contracted. I have repeatedly disconnected and reconnected. Never mind 'periods of upto 2 minutes, occurring two or three times a day' - I have had NO transfer at all.
Was there any testing of the Redback unit simulating expected loads, simultaneous connections etc before commission? Did Redback test it? Did you test it? Did you just plug it in and hope it would work? Would such a software bug be welcomed in a large business, which f9 could be described as?

Can I therefore expect some kind of financial reimbursement to cover 0845 dial-up costs, no email, lack of availability of my web and email server, slow (in fact - none at time of writing) reponse to my ticket number 5642540, and persuasion to stay with f9, having been with you for over four years?

If not, do you think doing nothing for me would change my current attitude and faith in f9?

Yours,
Tom Porch
--
Curriculum network manager and ICT technician,
A large comprehensive school,
Nottinghamshire
N/A

RE: ADSL Connectivity Update REPLY

> This is not a 'brief' outage - I have had no data transfer for four days, and it looks like it will remain so for another three days, making one whole week of no ADSL service from f9, as contracted. I have repeatedly disconnected and reconnected. Never mind 'periods of upto 2 minutes, occurring two or three times a day' - I have had NO transfer at all.
> Was there any testing of the Redback unit simulating expected loads, simultaneous connections etc before commission? Did Redback test it? Did you test it? Did you just plug it in and hope it would work? Would such a software bug be welcomed in a large business, which f9 could be described as?
>
> Can I therefore expect some kind of financial reimbursement to cover 0845 dial-up costs, no email, lack of availability of my web and email server, slow (in fact - none at time of writing) reponse to my ticket number 5642540, and persuasion to stay with f9, having been with you for over four years?
>
> If not, do you think doing nothing for me would change my current attitude and faith in f9?
>
> Yours,
> Tom Porch
>
> --
> Curriculum network manager and ICT technician,
> A large comprehensive school,
> Nottinghamshire

Dear Tom,
I am a veteran F9 user of about the same length of time as yourself. I have read your posting with interest and just wanted to tell you that I sent F9 a ticket recently containing many points of feedback & constructive criticism about customer care and response times to tickets, too not hide behined the ticketing system. That F9 needs to have more staff to answer tech support questions and to do this far more quickly. I have suggested that F9's goal should be to answer all tickets within 2hrs no matter how minor or major.

I have told F9 in no uncertain terms that their customers need to have something that restores faith in them as an ISP. I told them that they ignore this kind of feedback at their own peril.
I am hoping that some of my comments might have been taken on board.

I hope your issues get practical solutions ASAP,I think even someone from F9 phoning you up too apologuise or explain what they might be able to do under the circumstances would go a huge way to restoring some good feeling.

Best Regards
Ivan Ratoyevsky (sys admins cyteck)

--
cannylad
Grafter

Hi,
Shout and be angry all you like mate but like the rest of us you will just have to put up with F9's excuses and poor support. The only way to get back at them is to write to the computer mags etc telling them what its like, if lots of us do that then F9 will start losing customers and they will probably do something then.
Bet they take your money out of the bank quickly though!!
Cheers and good luck
--
N/A

Hi Ivan,

I would be interested in the response that they give.

could you email it to me?

matt@matthayes.com

Many Thanks
Matt.