cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL Connection sharing problem

N/A

I've just set up my 2 computers to talk to each other which works fine, the 2nd puter is sharing my adsl connection and says it's sending and recieving but i can't get a web page or mail..Nothing is happening..I have Windows XP and a Binatone Broadband ADSL 500 Modem..Please help!
Thanks Cath..AKA..Madsonic Evil
11 REPLIES
N/A

My guess is that on the computer which doesn't have the ADSL connection, you need to make a few additions to the network settings, in particular, the default route ("default gateway") and DNS settings.

You can check if this is the case as follows:
    Start -> Run...

Enter cmd in the box, and press OK. A new window will open.

Enter ipconfig /all and press the enter/return key.

Scan through the output and look for the lines "Default Gateway" and "DNS Servers"
The Default Gateway should be the IP address assigned to the Ethernet card on your other PC (the one with the ADSL modem), and the DNS Servers entries should include the Force9 DNS servers, 212.159.13.49 and 212.159.13.50.

If the output shows these values are not in place, you can update them through Start -> Control Panel -> Network and Internet Connections -> Network Connections; then identify the network adapter; right click on its icon to bring up the context menu; select the Properties option; highlight the Internet Protocol (TCP/IP) service and press Properties button. The default Gateway and DNS entries may then be completed and the changes saved.

If you don't know the IP address of the Ethernet adapter on the PC with the ADSL modem, you can use the ipconfig /all command on that, but be aware that it will probably show both the address of the Ethernet adapter and the address from your ADSL modem -- it's the Ethernet adapter's address that you're after (it will probably start "192.168").
N/A

Very stupid of me -- I forgot a vital part!

Not only do you need the correct networking setup, as explained earlier, on the PCs which don't have the ADSL modem, the PC with the modem needs to be told to share the connection with other PCs. The Microsoft term for this is "Internet Connection Sharing" (ICS), which you need to configure on that PC.

I assume that your ADSL modem is represented with an icon on the "Network Connections" screen? (Start -> Control Panel -> Network and Internet Connections -> Network Connections). If you right-click on this icon to bring up the context menu, you'll see a "Properties" option. Select this, and then take the "Advanced" tab.

About half way down the page, you'll see the options for "Internet Connection Sharing". I've never set this up, so I'm no expert (perhaps someone who is can offer advice if what I say is wrong), but this is what I'd expect you need to do:
    Ensure the "master switch" -- "Allow other network users to connect through this computer's Internet connection" -- is selected. This will activate the other check boxes relating to ICS.

On the "Home networking connection" selection box, select the Ethernet device through which the other PCs connect to this one. (I assume you only have one Ethernet adapter on the PC, so that's the one to choose if it's not already selected).

I assume the other two check boxes aren't critical, and I'm not sure how appropriate they are to ADSL modems, so I'll leave you to experiment/decide for yourself on what is best for you
N/A

just one quick bit to add, once ICS is turned on it will automatically change your network cards ip address to 192.168.0.1, and it will also activate a DHCP server, so that all other network machines will be automatically configured although you can still manually set them as task explained above

Darren
N/A

Thanks!

Thanks for your help too!!!
Cath..Madsonic
N/A

why not just use the ICS wizard - this will setup first machine - make sure its connected to net - take floppy disk to 2nd machine and run it - hey presto you should now have access
N/A

People still have floppy drives? :roll:
N/A

i have 1, but I cant remember using it for ages, maybe I should give it redundancy and tell it to get a new job elsewhere :lol:
N/A

I just got hold of an old laptop which im planning to use to play really old DOS games. The only problem is it only has a none-bootable CD-ROM drive and no floppy. Whats worse is getting a network up under Windows 3.11 (which is what is on it) is no easy task with it being all DOS junk and no TCP/IP.

I tried swapping it with a HD that had Win98 on it and then it didnt detect the CD-ROM drive. :x

To summarise: Floppy drives can still be useful, but it doesnt have one.
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

Hi,

You could get a null modem cable (serial to serial) to connect the laptop to another PC. It isn't a very fast transfer rate though.
N/A

Thanks, I had considered it but it must be the last resort as I believe Win 3.1 terminal only does 19200 baud maximum so when you say slow you are talking painfully slow. Im still holding out hope I can find my 2.5" -> 3.5" IDE adapter and just transfer stuff across with that, especially as the hard drive on the laptop sounds like a washing machine filling up with water - I suspect its been dropped at some point so I don't expect it to last long and I do have spares.
N/A

cant you get an external drive? you can definatley get external cd drives, zip drives and hard drives, though you may find an external floppy drive would not be the most highly produced item in the world any more as for reasons above. You could then at least transfer your data off.