cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL Bandwidth speed

N/A

ADSL Bandwidth speed

Hi,

I've just reinstalled my OS as it was crashing alot from games. After reistalling everything, I decided to do a speed test. Since the beginning (October 2002) I had been getting 320-340Kbps. I even posted some questions about my poor connection here.

HAving just did about 4 speed tests here, i'm amazingly getting 450Kbps. I can't believe it.

Well, i'm here to determine whether Force9 have done something to their servers or my speed increase is due to reinstalling my OS.

Anyway, I'm happy with my connection ow. Hope its doesn't fall back to the way it was.

John Tran
2 REPLIES
N/A

RE: ADSL Bandwidth speed

> Hi,
>
> I've just reinstalled my OS as it was crashing alot from games. After reistalling everything, I decided to do a speed test. Since the beginning (October 2002) I had been getting 320-340Kbps. I even posted some questions about my poor connection here.
>
> HAving just did about 4 speed tests here, i'm amazingly getting 450Kbps. I can't believe it.
>
> Well, i'm here to determine whether Force9 have done something to their servers or my speed increase is due to reinstalling my OS.
>
> Anyway, I'm happy with my connection ow. Hope its doesn't fall back to the way it was.
>
> John Tran

Hi John,

1)Yes!re-installing your OS will most definately improve the perceived speed of your system. What you have to remember is that any new system over time gets slower because the windows registry becomes messy with many keys & sub-keys that are nolonger required as software is installed & then removed.

So a full OS reinstall cleans out the registry and removes all the rubbish.

2)Connection speed or even perceived connection speed is affected by a whole bunch of variable factors, heres just a few:- time of day,your connection type (size of your data pipe),contention ratio's (how many other users you share the pipe with),The theoretical size of the pipe is NEVER what you really get as TCP/IP requires a connection overhead sometimes this can be as much as 10 or 12Kbps on ADSL connections. How much internet traffic there is across your local section of the web & sometimes even global trends can affect your speed.

3)Speed tests are never totally accurate only an approximate guide & often they have wide variability to them (inconsistancy) Local speed test servers such as F9's always seem to report faster connection rates than I believe are true (for me thats becuase they are just round the corner in www terms)I tend to find tests off DSL reports.com (based in the USA)servers as far more typical of my bandwidth across the wider net. (PSTonguelease note I am not knocking F9's test server merely pointing out that the location of a test server can & does affect the reported results).

--
N/A

RE: ADSL Bandwidth speed

> > Hi,
> >
> > I've just reinstalled my OS as it was crashing alot from games. After reistalling everything, I decided to do a speed test. Since the beginning (October 2002) I had been getting 320-340Kbps. I even posted some questions about my poor connection here.
> >
> > HAving just did about 4 speed tests here, i'm amazingly getting 450Kbps. I can't believe it.
> >
> > Well, i'm here to determine whether Force9 have done something to their servers or my speed increase is due to reinstalling my OS.
> >
> > Anyway, I'm happy with my connection ow. Hope its doesn't fall back to the way it was.
> >
> > John Tran
>
> Hi John,
>
> 1)Yes!re-installing your OS will most definately improve the perceived speed of your system. What you have to remember is that any new system over time gets slower because the windows registry becomes messy with many keys & sub-keys that are nolonger required as software is installed & then removed.
>
> So a full OS reinstall cleans out the registry and removes all the rubbish.
>
> 2)Connection speed or even perceived connection speed is affected by a whole bunch of variable factors, heres just a few:- time of day,your connection type (size of your data pipe),contention ratio's (how many other users you share the pipe with),The theoretical size of the pipe is NEVER what you really get as TCP/IP requires a connection overhead sometimes this can be as much as 10 or 12Kbps on ADSL connections. How much internet traffic there is across your local section of the web & sometimes even global trends can affect your speed.
>
> 3)Speed tests are never totally accurate only an approximate guide & often they have wide variability to them (inconsistancy) Local speed test servers such as F9's always seem to report faster connection rates than I believe are true (for me thats becuase they are just round the corner in www terms)I tend to find tests off DSL reports.com (based in the USA)servers as far more typical of my bandwidth across the wider net. (PSTonguelease note I am not knocking F9's test server merely pointing out that the location of a test server can & does affect the reported results).
>
>
> --
>

True but running both gives a good indication on where the problem lies ie: within or outside Force9 control

Darren