cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ADSL Bandwidth speed

N/A

ADSL Bandwidth speed

Hi,

My connection is almost always at the average 310kbps. I got my connection in August last year and have never seen the connection higer thatn this average.

I'm here to ask if this is normal or not. What is the average typical connection?

Thanks.

John T
9 REPLIES
N/A

RE: ADSL Bandwidth speed

> Hi,
>
> My connection is almost always at the average 310kbps. I got my connection in August last year and have never seen the connection higer thatn this average.
>
> I'm here to ask if this is normal or not. What is the average typical connection?
>
> Thanks.
>
> John T

Hi John,
I've had my ADSL connection with F9 since last summer and I regularly monitor my bandwidth (as do alot of ADSL users). With ADSL you have speeds for uplink (slower usually 256kbps max)and the downlink speed (faster than the uplink speed)512kbps. What I would say is that you should be getting not less than 400kbps on your downlink channel, below this then yes! performance is very poor. Uplink speeds should be not less than about 200kbps (otherwise this is poor too).

Having said all the above you also should appreciate that bandwidth & hence perceived speed/performance does fluctuate depending on quite a number of other factors such as time of day,wider internet traffic conditions,etc (wont bore you with all of them).

There are various speed test sites out on the internet that you can use to test/bench mark you ADSL connection. Try http://www.dslreports.com

Best Regards
Ivan
--
N/A

You should have received an email from Force9 recently, pointing you to an optimiser (for Windows systems) at http://portal.f9.net.uk/optimiser/ and mentioning their own speed test, which can be accessed from the "My Connection" link.
N/A

Hi,

yes, I did get the optimizer link from F9. I used it and it did seem to speed up a little bit.

I have regularly tested my bandwidth and have never got anything close to 400Kbps. The higest I can recall is 380kbps. But on average I would say it is 340kbps.

I've just done another spped test on adslguide.org and the download is 342kbps and upload is 240kbps.

I have a feeling That the problem may be to do with an extension i'm using for ADSL.

What do you think I should do?

N/A

> Hi,
>
> yes, I did get the optimizer link from F9. I used it and it did seem to speed up a little bit.
>
> I have regularly tested my bandwidth and have never got anything close to 400Kbps. The higest I can recall is 380kbps. But on average I would say it is 340kbps.
>
> I've just done another spped test on adslguide.org and the download is 342kbps and upload is 240kbps.

I did a test to Force9 a few minutes ago, followed by a test using adslguide. These are the figures I obtained:

Force9: 465.90kbps (58.24 KBps) using a 1 MB file.

adslguide: downstream 469 kbps (58.6 KBps); upstream 241 kbps (30.1KBps). These are the fastest figures I've had from this test for a while - it may be down to being a quiet time (3.30pm-ish). Interesting it shows a slightly higher figure than Force9's test, which only goes to show the figures can vary from time to time.

It would be interesting to know what figure you get on the Force9 test, which avoids any complications with the Internet at large.

> I have a feeling That the problem may be to do with an extension i'm using for ADSL.
>

I think I read there's a maximum cable distance from the telephone socket to the ADSL modem; I can't recall what it is (it may be shown in the list of requirements when you sign up), but a figure like 30m vaguely comes to mind.
N/A

Hi,

Its no about 10:45pm, I've done a speed test on F9 Bandwith test, and the results are as follows:

526Kilobyte file, downloaded> results: 326.20Kbps.

My extension is nowhere near 30M, Probably about 15M. Its not one of thos plug and go extensions either, it a direct extension, wired directly into the back of the main socket.

I've heard BT can do a line check, Is it free? I'm gonna phone tomorrow to see.
N/A

> Hi,
>
> Its no about 10:45pm, I've done a speed test on F9 Bandwith test, and the results are as follows:
>
> 526Kilobyte file, downloaded> results: 326.20Kbps.
>
> My extension is nowhere near 30M, Probably about 15M. Its not one of thos plug and go extensions either, it a direct extension, wired directly into the back of the main socket.
>
> I've heard BT can do a line check, Is it free? I'm gonna phone tomorrow to see.

My speed has dropped considerably too. I phoned BT to do a test and there was nothing wrong with the line.
N/A

> > Hi,
> >
> > Its no about 10:45pm, I've done a speed test on F9 Bandwith test, and the results are as follows:
> >
> > 526Kilobyte file, downloaded> results: 326.20Kbps.
> >
> > My extension is nowhere near 30M, Probably about 15M. Its not one of thos plug and go extensions either, it a direct extension, wired directly into the back of the main socket.
> >
> > I've heard BT can do a line check, Is it free? I'm gonna phone tomorrow to see.
>
> My speed has dropped considerably too. I phoned BT to do a test and there was nothing wrong with the line.

N/A

> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > Its no about 10:45pm, I've done a speed test on F9 Bandwith test, and the results are as follows:
> > >
> > > 526Kilobyte file, downloaded> results: 326.20Kbps.
> > >
> > > My extension is nowhere near 30M, Probably about 15M. Its not one of thos plug and go extensions either, it a direct extension, wired directly into the back of the main socket.
> > >
> > > I've heard BT can do a line check, Is it free? I'm gonna phone tomorrow to see.
> >
> > My speed has dropped considerably too. I phoned BT to do a test and there was nothing wrong with the line.
>
>

How annoying I'd put in all my data in for a reply and then it logged me out. When I logged back in the data had gone from the reply. Hence the empty reply. I'll try again shortly sigh!

Greg
N/A

> > Hi,
> >
> > Its no about 10:45pm, I've done a speed test on F9 Bandwith test, and the results are as follows:
> >
> > 526Kilobyte file, downloaded> results: 326.20Kbps.
> >
> > My extension is nowhere near 30M, Probably about 15M. Its not one of thos plug and go extensions either, it a direct extension, wired directly into the back of the main socket.
> >
> > I've heard BT can do a line check, Is it free? I'm gonna phone tomorrow to see.
>
> My speed has dropped considerably too. I phoned BT to do a test and there was nothing wrong with the line.

Speed on force9:

478.60kbps

Which means you can download at 59.83 KB/sec. from our servers.

On adslguide:

Downstream 471 Kbps (58.9 KB/sec) 508 Kbps (inc. overheads)
Upstream 240 Kbps (30.0 KB/sec) 259 Kbps (inc. overheads)

It varies.. as Stephen says. I would check with BT and force9 to see if anything can be done. Try if possible plugging your ADSL modem directly into the socket into the wall. Also if possible find out how far you are from the telephone exchange.

cheers,

Greg