Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A usefull website

Pendragon
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

A usefull website

Hi Everyone,
Just a bit of a chat message really and a pointer to a very useful web site.

The reason I’m writing is I was going to get rid of an old mobile phone in a Tesco recycling bag when this thought struck me (damn well hurt as well Smiley), ‘what about the data stored on the phone how do I delete it all’.

A bit of ‘research’ on the internet (what would we do without it?) came up with this site;
http://www.wirelessrecycling.com/home/data_eraser/default.asp

all you have to do is select your phone and it will produce a page or pages of instructions on deleting your data.
I also wondered how many mobile phones are recycled without the owner deleting all the data. They contain so much nowadays with phone numbers, addresses, email addresses, to-do lists, contact management and much more, a paradise for the ‘cloner’.

Another thing that amuses me is the bland way the computer magazines remind you to ‘secure delete your hard disks before recycling your old computer’. Have they ever tried it I wonder?

I have a secure deleting program and it can take up to a full week running day and night to do a secure 7 pass run on a large hard disk. Even a low level format on an IDE drive can take 2 days (and yes it can be done but you need the right program to do it). Do they really think an ordinary user is going to leave their computer on 24 hours a day for 7 days, I don’t think so.

My ‘cure’, remove hard drive, place on a hard surface, concrete is best, hit as often as you wish with 4lbs lump hammer Wink. Does wonders for your pent up anger and keeps everyone but the ‘Government Forensics’ department from reading your data. Also has a lower carbon footprint as well.

Keep well everyone, regards, Colin.
2 REPLIES
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 46

Re: A usefull website

My ‘cure’, remove hard drive, place on a hard surface, concrete is best, hit as often as you wish with 4lbs lump hammer Wink. Does wonders for your pent up anger and keeps everyone but the ‘Government Forensics’ department from reading your data.

I can certainly vouch for, and recommend, this solution! Smiley

David
David
Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

A usefull website

A long long time ago I went for a job interview with one of these forensics labs. It was amazing how much data they could recover from damaged drives. They had clients bring them drives and floppies that had been in fires, blown up by bombs, smashed to pieces by sledge hammers, etc. and they were generally able to recover a large amount of the data.

Of course doesn't come cheap or quick Smiley