cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A question about phpBB

N/A

A question about phpBB

I uploaded my phpBB forum and filled out the details in the installation form and when I press submit I get this:

phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database

I asked about this on the phpBB forum and they had this to say:

You need to ask your host for the details - you may be able to create the database via a control panel if you have access, and a user with permission to access that database.

So...? Cheesy
2 REPLIES
N/A

A question about phpBB

On the phpBB installation screen, did you fill out the database details in accordance with the email received from Force9 after activating your MySQL usage?

The database type should be MySQL 3.x

Database Server Hostname is either humbug.force9.net or rumpus.force9.net
Database Name is probably womersley_f9
Database Username is womersley
Database Password is whatever was notified to you in the email

In particular, the password is easy to get wrong, so it's probably best to use "copy and paste" to transfer the values as provided in the email to the input boxes on the installation screen.

The bottom half of the phpBB installation screen deals with details for the user who will be the person acting as the Administrator of the phpBB system -- the email address to use, the "handle" or username by which s/he will be known, and the password that username will enter to log on to the phpBB system.

See item 10 of the Help Installing phpBB article.
N/A

A question about phpBB

Your admin username has been created. At this point your basic installation is complete. You will now be taken to a screen which will allow you to administer your new installation. Please be sure to check the General Configuration details and make any required changes. Thank you for choosing phpBB 2.

Thank-You, I was stupid and didn't realise it, great help Tongue