cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A new breed of PC Technicians LOL

N/A

I have just come back ( about 15 minutes ago ) from a call out to a bust PC.
The lady involved explained to me how she phoned a shop up and breifly described over the phone what her pc was and was not doing. She then also told me that in about 30 seconds flat the bloke on the end of the phone diagnosed a BUST pc and she would have to scrap it and buy a new one.

He also explained how her license was no longer any good and she would have to pay £80 for a new windows XP license along with the new PC etc etc.

This got me thinking, just how bust is the PC. I took a look, and fair enough the PC was very ill, infact so much so the HDD had conked out and given up. Easy, new hdd install windows XP and bang in the COA serial number thats on the side of the case. ( Right I have now saved her a few hundred ).

She then later confided in me that this same bloke a few months earlier was asked to look at her system regarding some strange goings on. He took a look, scratched his head looked again, had a few drinks, looked again and finally concluded he didnt know what was wrong with it. She also informed me that she then got a new AV and scanned the system only to find half a dozen trojans in her system.

Am I wrong in thinking that the new age PC Techs are nothing but a bunch of hillbilly PC World cowboys (no offence to anyone working at PC world) that havent got a clue about PC's but are rather more interested in making a few quick quid and selling as many new systems as possible. (Whilst taking the old one, repairing it and selling it on at a higher price I might add).

I cannot believe that people like this get away with it. I am glad I went out (ok apart from the time of day) as I wouldnt have liked this to happen to anyone.

Has anyone else had experiences like this, or perhaps been told horror stories like this?

Regards,
15 REPLIES
crimsone
Grafter

Geez!!! I'm a world away from that, and even I at the moment have refused to start a pc techie business on grounds that I'm not knowlegeable enough (particularly because theres a few things I know I can't do, like analyse mindumps to diagnose random BSoDs etc, and know that I'm not always incredibly quick when it comes to removing spyware). Even so everyone I know keeps telling me that I should go for it.

If this is the quality of your average PC tech these days, maybe I should?! lol
N/A

Like a lot of people who work in IT I help out friends and family members with PC related issues.

i'd say 45-60% of my 'work' is putting right problems caused by their "computer man".
Alecto
Grafter

But Tom my lad, that is the way of the world.

Plumbers, garages, builders, financial advisers, spice girls, they're all the same.
In any business (except the spice girls), you get a few competent souls who don't rip people off and know what they're doing, but the vast majority see the public as mug punters and know how easy it is to strip them of their cash by putting on a front of vague knowledge, scratching their chins and shaking their heads.

'Twas always thus, and it always will be until the end of time.

Anyone who can get help from someone who is competent at something, anything, should thank their lucky stars.
N/A

Yup,

These days all you seem to have to have is a little money to buy a name and thats it your a so called expert in that field (well until people become wise to you).

What got me though was the fact that he drew his diagnostics from a breif telephone call!! Huh, did I miss something here. I didnt realise telepathy came under he PC Hardware, Problem Solving, repairs etc etc category.

If there is a course for it, sure ill take it.
N/A

I remember going into PC World two days after the HT processor went on sale...

"Have you got any of the new HT Chips in?"

"What new chips?"

"The New Intel Chips with Hyperthread Technology!"

"Oh, them, they are not out yet, not at least for another year"

...........I casually strolled out of the store :lol:
Community Veteran

Hello; Easy Sale Guys!

That sort of thing is why I call PC world Dimwits land.
N/A

Lol,

What can I say, the blokes bios battery must have been running out and upon booting his calender was set back by a year lolol.

I can remember a couple of years back. Went into a PC World with my brother in law as he needed his digi cam changed (he broke it lol). Whilst there I thought I would ask about some of their superb machines running on display.
I did nothing more than ask about;

HDD Size
RAM Size and Bus speed
CPU Bus speed, frequenzy etc
motherboard make,
any other real outstanding features.

all I got in reply was :? "Errr who??" So i simply repeated my questions, he then proceeded to pick up the card which showed the price and read it word for word. After he finished I asked him if he could answer the rest of my questions, he simply replied with "I couldnt tell you. I dont even know what you mean".

Now thats a place you can have faith in to fix your computers, sell you a working one and even for general advice seeking. :lol: LOL
MysteryFCM
Grafter

Like Richard, I do almost all of the work on my family's PC's as I'd rather that than them go to a PC store and get ripped off (there's only one PC store I trust, and I only trust them as they're one of my clients so anything that does need upgraded/replaced, gets purchased from them).

As far as PC World are concerned, I wouldn't recommend anyone go to them if you paid me (they're the only company I know that get the urine taken out of them MORE than AOL.... and that takes some doing!!, lol).

As for modern "techs", the vast majority of those that I've come accross don't have a clue. They've gone to college/uni, got a so-called degree which in turn, gets them a well paid job with an equally stupid employer. The little they do know, can be placed neatly in the corner of a first class stamp... Alas, until the less technically inclined get wise to it, the current trend will continue.

As an example, I recently had a call from my brother about a PC he'd bought from a guy in Hartlepool (told him to go through me if he wanted one, but as usual, he didn't listen). The PC was supposed to be a PIII w/300MB RAM + 80GB hard drive. The call showed the PC not to have the 300MB RAM it was supposed to have had, but instead, a measly 15MB! (yep, thats NOT a typo!).

He called the guy up after I spoke to him about the memory and the guys reply was simply "thats normal, Windows lies about that so it can be ignored". Now any techie will tell you that yes, Windows lies about the amount of memory thats in a PC (i.e. it may miss the odd Kb here and there), but missing 285MB of it??.... I think not.

I went round there this morning after work to take a look at it, and upon inspection, it was also found to have a much much much smaller hard drive than it was supposed to have had (79GB smaller infact).

Alas the guy apparently doesn't work for a PC store, so I can't name and shame it.... (brother won't even give me his name and number, lol. Seems to think I'll kick up a stink).
N/A

Ouch, that hurts.

How much did this err state of the art Pre WW1 Antique cost your brother (if you dont mind me asking).

I had one bloke try and pull one over me like that lol. I phoned him, spoke to him on the phone etc, and he was giving it all this and that. Yup its in excellent nick, nice speed CPU, nice sized HDD and memory. Not wanting much for it mate, just a straight £150.

Sounded alright. So I went round with my bank account at the time (my mum :lol: ) and took a look. What he didnt expect was for me to start looking in all the right places to see if he was indeed telling the truth or not. This guy was a professor from college, shame on him.

Advertised spec;

Athlon 900Mhz
256MB PC133 Ram
30GB HDD
CD-RW
etc etc

Actual spec;

Athlon 900Mhz (Credit due to him)
128mb PC100 Ram
8GB HDD
24x CD rom

Hmm, I think I may have been wrong to judge it so quickly, but something told me that what he told me over the phone, didnt exactly match what was in there.

(PS this was about 4 years ago)
N/A

I used to go to PC World when I wanted some peace and quiet. Have you ever noticed how they ignore the scruffy looking people Cheesy

When I do tech support for friends I'll do whatever it takes to get their laptop (why do all students have laptops these days?) working .. but occasionally they have been known to start working just by me entering the room. Its my cosmic make it better field and it has rewarded me with many pints before now Cool
MysteryFCM
Grafter

How much did this err state of the art Pre WW1 Antique cost your brother (if you dont mind me asking).

Cost him £65 for the machine itself, but with the upgrades he needs for it (monitor, more RAM, bigger HD etc), he's looking around £160 all together.
N/A

Hmm,

Wouldnt it be worth building a new one? Sempron 2800+ (yer I know its an AMD but better than a 300Mhz anyway) 80GB hdd etc, I have built a few of these. Each one costing very little indeed.Infact the tower unit on its own with a dvd-rw was less than £200. about £187 or something daft.

But when building for customers this is my cost and have to add charges, but I personally would sooner look at building a new one, as apposed to upgrading a 300Mhz for that kind of money.

Regards,
MysteryFCM
Grafter

If it was for anything special I'd say yes, but he only wants it for the internet (and though I detest it, MSNM too), so it would be much more than is necessary.
N/A

i just finished sorting a pc that had been to a shop for upgrade.

it had a nice new dusty 120gb hdd fitted.
the tower was returned not working with instructions to "get a windows xp disc from someone and install it"

well, i was amazed! first off i did what all techys would do, and "unformated" the hdd Wink oh it was definately 2nd hand had a full install of xp on it!!!!!!

so i, formatted again, put in a xp home disc typed in the serial off the sticker on the side and after a verification we was away.

i now have another customer and anyone else they know.THAT is how it should be word of mouth advertising is priceless.

i dont confess to know it all or have qualifications, i just muddled my way thru life from a speccy,amiga etc to my present knowledge which i value much more than anything thses cowboys confess to knowing.

oh all that 2 finger typing has made me dizzy............