cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A computer virus that talks!!!

N/A

Right,

My wife just came home to draw my attention to this one. Im not sure how well known this is yet, but its worth a read.

Now a computer virus that talks back to you

Computer users are unaware a virus has infected their system until it is too late.
Now, virus creators have kindly developed one that chats with its intended victim before striking.

The talking worm is sent through AOL's Instant Messenger and lulls its victims into a fals sense of security.

While chatting to the worm, the unsuspecting user is directed to visit an Internet address where a malicious file is loaded on to their computer.

This file disables security software and installs a backdoor which allows access to the computer from the Internet and changes system files.

The virus then sends itself to contacts on the victim's 'buddy' list.
The worm, the first of its kind to tailor responses to questions, is not widespread but experts believe it is likely to be refined causing a major outbreak.

'This is a first,' said Andrew Burton, spokesman for US-Based IMlogic. 'We will see on or two instances of an attack, there will be refinement and then there will be an outbreak.'

AOL has warned its IM users to be on their guard. Spokesman Jonathan Lambeth said: 'British users are vulnerable and should be careful when clicking on links. It is not something we have seen in Britain as we only heard about it yesterday.
'The responses are automatic so think, would the person I am talking to say that? If you are chatting with your grandmother and she says, "lol that's so cool", you could be talking to a worm.' The IM.Myspace04.AIM worm first states, 'lol thats cool' and directs users to the file 'clarissa17.pif'.

After the user responds, the worm answers with the double bluff, 'lol no its not its a worm'.

Worms are not new but this is the first one to tailor responses to questions according to Christian Hall, of internet magazine .NET.

He said: 'What seems to be different si that it seems to respond to queries specifically, suggesting it is the most sophisticated IM worm yet.'

Hmm,

How long before MSN IRC and the rest are using it I wonder.
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

I presume it can only effect windows machines?

It's a shame in a way - whoever wrote that worm is obviously a very talented programmer but putting their skills to the wrong effect...
N/A

No comment Daniel.

Im not a programmer nor am I talented :lol:

But yes, I would agree, right talent wrong output for it.
N/A

No comment Daniel.
Im not a programmer nor am I talented :lol:
But yes, I would agree, right talent wrong output for it.

That seems very much like a comment, tompcs
I'm feeling rather picky tonight.
N/A

LOL,

Paul, yer well I couldnt help myself and I simply couldnt be bothered to remove the text from a couple of lines up lol.