Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A cheeky favour request...

LiamM
Grafter

Hi guys,

In my dayjob I work for a company which manufacturers and retails a large number of gardening products etc.....

One of the websites I run is www.greengardenshop.co.uk/catalog, which is not particularly great. Recently we have been redeveloping this site and are almost complete (aside from content etc...).

I was wondering if I could be really cheeky and ask anyone who fancies to just have a browse around, make comments, feedback to me and place some fake orders (if you have time) on the new site. We want to roll this live in the next few days (once all of our products are online etc...)

The URL is : http://beta.greengardenshop.co.uk

If anybody does want to place a dummy order, then you can use the following card details. You can use a random address / name if you like - otherwise all dummy orders will be deleted once the site goes live. The card processing provider is currently in test / debug mode :

VISA
Card No : 4929 0000 0000 6
Iss No : None
Exp / Start Date / CV2 : Any

MasterCard
Card No : 5404 0000 0000 0001
Iss No : None
Exp / Start Date / CV2 : Any

Thanks for any help / comments etc... you might be able to give.

Cheers guys,
Liam

EDIT : Website now live at www.greengardenshop.co.uk so don't go placing any test orders! Thanks. beta.greengardenshop.co.uk will just redirect to the live site now.

Thanks for all your help.
8 REPLIES
N/A

Hi Liam,

Ill take a look mate. Im not a great anything ( lol ) as you know but I am able to act as the piccy visitor.

Straight away I can tell you that I have immediately seen 2 issues ( and thats just from loading the initial page ).

The column on the right hand side is wider than that of the left. The body or content area sits closer to the left than it does to the right ( with the exception of 1 link which sits closer to the right than anything).

Ill have a look round though and let you know what I think. Feel free to tell me to sod of and mind my own at any point you wish Smiley

Regards,
Alecto
Grafter

Hi Liam
I've put on an order for you.
Ordered 2 products, and it stopped me ordering silly quantities which is good.
Looked for a Checkout button when I'd finished - can't see one so had to go via View my Barrow.

Details screens on checkout and payment - not the best. The little boxes you have to type into seem to have very pale blue edges and I had trouble finding them.
Took me a while to find the drop down thing for country - tried to type UK in and it wouldn't let me, then I saw the drop down arrow.
I'd prefer black or dark outlines so I can see what I'm aiming for.
Some big commercial site has them just the same - I've used it but can't remember whose it was.

There don't seem many products on, but I assume that'll change in the live version.

Search gives me a system error.

Apart from that, the design looks OK.
N/A

Liam,

Ok I have had a look at the site. The overall functioning of the site is great. At first I thought you had gone for Cube Cart as the e-commerce engine but then noticed the .asp extension.

So when I got to the home page I saw

There are 3 things marked out there. all 3 are to do with spacing from either the left or the right columns.

Then looking at the left column

Personally I think everything in the left and right columns are too squashed up against each other and the edges of the general background.
Have you tried making the white background a little wider and then allowing everything a little more room? I mostly use 900 - 1000px as a hard set width due to most households these days owning a 17" monitor or larger and thus using higher resolutions.
Also the white background is simply sat cold against the green, perhaps a slim chic black border would help establish its parameters a little better?

And again looking in all the categories one thing I have found common between them all is that they all sit like this;

The sit to the left and leave a larger area on the right.

As for the checkout process, I know that a lot of companies and sellers believe that the more info the better, but in some cases this isnt true. Whilst the registration only required the core details everything there after simply strung the process out, im one of these that wants a say 2 step or max 3 step checkout process and get annoyed and frustrated at any overly long strung out ones.

Obviously there are limitations as in the ability to alter the code etc, eg I have used cubecart in the past for which there is an express checkout mod which allows a user to complete checkout in a matter of seconds.

Anyway I hope I havent been overly pompus or anything and I hope my thoughts and observations have been of some help.

Regards,
N/A

Ok I have more to add Sad

Following Geoffs post I thought I would look at the checkout process also. I agree with Geoff that the fields being marked by dashes is something that bugs me to high heaven. I am not the blindest sod ( despite the specs ) by a mile but I find it hard to see also.

Going through the process we have

I was hoping that instead of getting an estimate it would instead show the shipping costs here already. This would help avoid a step and making the process longer.
When I clicked on it I got this;

If you look the top field has dissapeared behind the left column there. On top of that the fields are too close together even if they had a thin black border.

Again the fields are too close together and with them being hard enough to see as it is this only makes the job harder.

The step above is the one that could do with being merged into the initial step. Not only would a customer know right away how much shipping costs are going to be but it shortens the process pshycologically and thus a happier experience.

Ok that one above im worried about. Not only is there no field which requires you to select it in order to proceed but its small also. I missed it first time round tbh. It could do with being a little larger and more prominent.

Now this is where I had fun lol. I decided that I wanted to change something after having clicked proceed above. As im being asked to submit and confirm the order im assuming that this is possible ( as would most others I assume ). But after having gone back or even having clicked on an alternate link etc and then coming here again I got;

Hmm... :shock: My order was gone. So I explored a little further ( most users would think their order had vanished at this point ). I then went to My Account and had a look around in there.

There it was my order, but its in pending status...Not to worry ill click on it and pay for it Smiley

Thats not possible either. So if I know this situation correctly ( and this was a bug in Cube cart not so long back ) the only way out of this is for the user to either send money to the shop and the shop alters the status OR the order needs to be cancelled and re-done. Thats not too practical if im being very fair.

Im hoping this all helps Liam, let us know when we step over the line Smiley.

Regards,
LiamM
Grafter

Thanks for the comments Tom. We're looking into these right now and making some changes to the checkout process slightly.

As for the design / border etc... I think we're generally happy with the way it is looking already. More of our users are still using 800 x 600 than anything else so there's no way we can develop for higher resolutions specifically just yet.
N/A

No probs Liam,

The design and looks side of things is something that will change for every single user. I myself would prefer it one way whilst another likes it another way. Its a balance thats hard to strike and will always be hard to obtain.

Its the form fields though and the checkout process that needs to run smoothly as this is the one bit that could make or break repeat customers, you know this already though.

Anyway glad to be of some service.

Regards,
N/A

Your address that you blurred out in the "View Order" screenshot - is that the same address that is clearly seen in the billing/shipping screenshot?
N/A

Yep, but its not my address anyway. I enjoy using the pixalation tool and besides this it was my email address I was really wanting to hide.

If you fancy visiting the address shown you may wish to take some golf clubs with you, there are some nice huge fields out back of that address. Otherthan this you may now need the clubs for protection within the garrison ( or so ive been told ) :lol: .

Regards,