cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

8MBps , 50GB limit (£29.99), OMG

N/A

once the higher speeds become available will the usage limits get higher? or stay the same or are gonna wait unitl BT reveals its plans?
43 REPLIES
N/A

Im not sure what you mean, this was explained in the e-mail:

£21.99 30GB
£29.99 50GB
£39.99 75GB
£49.99 100GB
£59.99 125GB

There will be no such thing as different speed accounts anymore.
One thing missing from that table is I believe the £14.99 account which will be 10GB but im not sure that account will qualify under the fair-use scheme. I think it will involved being FORCED to pay for the extra bandwidth you use rather than having your speed downgraded and given a choice. Potentially though it means you can get 8Mbit for £14.99 - great for people who have little time to go online so dont download much and what they do they need it NOW!

One thing I am interested in is that im reported by BT as being too far away for faster than 1Mbit (which I currently have). Does this mean they wont bother to try to upgrade my speed or will they automatically check my line to see if it can cope at a higher speed?
In theory it should do as a quick search google shows that ADSL in some countries can do 384Kbps up / 3Mbps down up to 10K/ft - and my router reports the loop is approx 10K/ft for my line. Would be great to have those Linux ISOs download overnight at 2 or 3Mbit without costing me any fair-use as they would be done in a single night almost guaranteed. Also id be more keen to install Linux live over FTP rather than downloading the whole CDs, if it was a bit faster.
N/A

i imagine force9 will be able to find that out for you.
Posted: 18 Feb 2005 01:13 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Im not sure what you mean, this was explained in the e-mail:

£21.99 30GB
£29.99 50GB
£39.99 75GB
£49.99 100GB
£59.99 125GB

This is based on 2MBps so when 8MBps comes out, hopefully all the speed will be doubled or quaded (X4).
N/A

as i understood it, this is based on how much bandwidth you use. The speed is irrelevant beit 512 2meg or 8meg connection

Darren
N/A

Broadband Premier Fair Usage Total 'Fair Usage' Achievable
Product On Peak Levels Inc Off Peak (based on 2Mb)

£21.99 30GB 230GB
£29.99 50GB 250GB
£39.99 75GB 275GB
£49.99 100GB 300GB
£59.99 125GB 325GB

got this in an email!
N/A

yes that is the amount you could download 'off peak' which is based on a 2MB
connection

Premier customers will be able to choose the speed they wish to operate their connection at, from 512kb right up to 8Mb where available.

if you read the statement fully it makes much more sense rather than being selective
N/A

but thats very expensive and unfair. 50GB on 8MBps @ £30 is unfair and £40 for it is even worse, i wonder what AOL's packages are gonna be like!
N/A

There has been alot more discussion of this on the plus.net forums, the F9 packages from april you will get the fastest connection possible with your account which you can slow down if you want. But you pay for how much 'Fair Usage' that you require, so you effectivly paying for the amount of data rather than the speed you get the data at like we do now

will be interesting to see how other ISP's respond to F9's changes and how they release products on the faster speed

Darren
N/A

but the usage limit costs 50gb for £29.99 is expensive!
N/A

compared to what some isp's are currently charging, some people are going to far worse off.

i currently pay £21.99 for my 1/2 meg connection. looking at my usage via the portal, last month i hit just over 25GB and the month before only 5GB, with this new system i will be one of the people that benefit.

To be honest if i was using anywhere near that bandwidth with the new system i would be looking to move my connection., depending on what else you could get for the money.

As it stands i have no need to move (this does not mean i agree with the new policy)

Darren
N/A

so could i go 2MB @ £29.99 now or do wait unitl april, i know enforced then but can you do it now?
N/A

I WOULD WAIT UNTIL THEY FINALISE WHAT THEY ARE DOING PLUS YOU WOULD PROBABLLY END UP PAYING IF YOU DO IT NOW , I HIT OVER 80GIG LAST MONTH ON A 512K CONNECTION BUT AM MORE THAN WILLING TO CUT MY DOWNLOADING DOWN TO 50 GIG IF IT MEANS I GET THE FASTEST CONNECTION AVALABLE TO ME .

I WILL DEF BE LOOKING HARD INTO WHAT FORCE 9 OFFER

THERE ARE ALREADY RESTRICTIONS ON OTHER ISP THAT THEY DONT TELL YOU ABOUT RUMOURS OF A SO CALLED BADBOY PIPE FOR HEAVING USERS AT LEAST FORCE9 ARE TELLING YOU ABOUT IT AND THAT THEY WILL CUT YOUR CONNECTION DOWN SPEED WISE IF YOU DONT STICK TO THE FAIR USAGE .

FORM MADDOGBROOKESUK
N/A

I dont get why people seem to think paying for bandwidth is unfair. This is how the Internet has ALWAYS worked its just that until now ISPs instead were happier to charge us a flat fee so that they can make profit on the extra amount thats paying for what we dont use. The new scheme is MUCH MUCH fairer than it has been.

Also bear in mind that it appears that the portal currently reports ALL bandwidth use, thats including uploading AND downloading between 1-8am. Im pretty sure once its adjusted to account for the changes even heavy users will realise that a LOT of their use has been upstream data transfer.

For example:
You can transfer about 2.5GB a day MAX uploading alone. That means for every 24 hour period you are running peer-2-peer software and people are downloading from you, you are most likely using 2.5GB of bandwidth. This means that someone running P2P flat out for a month would be using approx 74GB a month JUST uploading. So, you can take that away from your monthly usage already.

Now, what about your downloads between 1-8am? Assuming you arent doing fantastic (like I seem to do) speeds from P2P lets assume you are downloading about as much as you are uploading. So thats about 6.2GB a month saved from a mere 30k/sec. So you have saved over 80GB/month already.

Now add to that the fact that you will probably schedule other downloads such as the latest stuff from Usenet or the latest game demos for those hours too then you can quickly see that the fair-usage quotas are pretty generous if you use them right. At 8Mbit I dont think its fair to complain that you have to wait until the early morning to schedule your downloads.

Last of all, so you have 8Mbit and go over your quota quite quickly and are stuck down at 128Kbit for the rest of the month. If you look at this logically its perfectly fair. You are only paying EXACTLY THE SAME as other people stuck on slower connections and your drop in speed increases the chances of them reaching their fair-use quota by reducing the contention. Why should you get prefential treatment JUST because you are closer to the exchange?
N/A

I totally agree with that and the use of fair usage

its only a matter of time until every isp will probably switch to the same idea
zone8
Grafter

This all seems very interesting but UKOnline is doing 8mbit with 500GB of bandwidth per month. UKonline is a sister company of Easynet which is a huge global internet company. Also Ukonline has no plan & ever will of offering less than this. So compare £21 per month for 30GB compared to £39 per month for 500GB f9 is going to only end up with a handful of customers which download maybe 1 - 2 GB per month. Seeing as all other customers will want to move on.

Also what I find interesting AOL has doubled their bandwidth for each package & has no download limits at all. They also have no plan in the future to ever have a download limit. Which with most customers they will find that better choices than F9 seeing as AOL software is designed more for home users & offers free firewall software & much more?

I hit the 30 GB sometimes so I am worried F9 will ask me to leave. But I do think f9 will change the download limits because from following what all the other ISP's are doing it would be imposable for F9 to keep any customers. Seeing as telewest is going to match 8mbit with no download limit also. Same with NTL so I cant see how f9 will be able to keep this price for such small amounts of bandwidth.

But time will tell in this case, I have been with f9 for a very long time & they have always stayed in the game but they are going to need to rethink their ideas if they want to stay in the game with ISP's which will be offering 18mbit+ in about 6 months time.