cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

64bit firewall?

David_W
Rising Star

64bit firewall?

Tried google, not much luck. I'm after a firewall for Windows XP x64, normal firewalls no longer work because they are 32bit, I dont want to use zonealarm (yuck) so anyone know of any that are decent for 64 bit windows? Currently relying on my routers inbuilt firewall.
6 REPLIES
N/A

64bit firewall?

Hi,
Good Luck with that as I think that's a tough one as most of the software publishers are still only in the process of upgrading or recompling their software for next generation OS i.e. 64bit and until 64bit hits the main stream IMO you might struggle to get anything thats affordable.

I mean by that you may come across a 64 bit software firewall if your very lucky but my guess is that its most likely to be written for the business or professional market and therefore is also likely to cost an arm & a leg (be total beyond the average users pocket or ability to configure it correclty unless you have done their courses?).

**Its NOT impossible but I've yet to come across one, yet alone a good one which works and is also user friendly. Given time I'm sure they will become a reality.

**NOT that I think the built in MS software firewall included with XP is any good but there should be one included but its probably a bag of hot steaming stuff. I wouldnt use it myself but I guess if you really had no alternative, seems like the router your using might be it in the end?

Ivan
David_W
Rising Star

64bit firewall?

Hoping the router is enough for now, but erk. I got a NVidia mobo with hardware firewall in the motherboard, but the NV software for that is 32bit, so not sure if that would work properly either. Guess its back to the hunt >.<
N/A

64bit firewall?

Hi,

I think your problem here is that your trying to be ahead of the technological game as it were. Yes! one can get hold of a 64bit version of windows XP but why would one want to have this?? given the vast majority of major applications remain 32bit and will do so for quite some time to come as far as I can see.

As I said before most software publishers havent even begun to recompile the code required for 64bit yet or will have to completely rewrite many software titles for 64bit (it may not be a simple job to update some applications for 64bit). And until 64 bit processors and 64bit OS and finally 64bit programs all come together at one time & that there is a definate benefit from this then I think your going to continue to have a hard time finding a suitable 64bit software firewall. (even software firewalls will have to be recreated for the 64bit environment).

**The fact that Microsoft brought out a 64bit ready (or 64bit enabled) version of Windows XP is just a clever and very typical MS marketing ploy. I have seen MS do this kind of trick many times over. Hay!! guys look a 64bit version of XP WOW!!! but this doesnt mean its any good, it just means that IF by sheer chance you managed to get hold of a 64bit CPU and suitable MB then in theory the 64bit version would or should work but nothing guarenteed of course.

**MS are hedging there bets by doing this hay! but you can still run the 64bit on a 32bit machine so that when you finally upgrade your hardware to 64bit you wouldnt have to buy a new version of XP THATS what this is really about. But again frankly knowing MS they will bring out a totally new version of windows by then specificaly for 64bit so your old 64bit ready version will be old pants by that time!! see where I'm coming from? its all about shifting boxes of XP and MS Profits as we will all be forced to upgrade yet again. And catching goes the MS cashcow yet again and your pockets start to feel lighter. :roll: and uncle bills profit meter wizzes round again even faster!! What was his personal weath last time I heard? I think it was 6Billion $'s. Not suprising then that people love to hate uncle bill.

Ivan
David_W
Rising Star

64bit firewall?

Oh, I didnt buy it, its the trial download Wink It plays my 32 bit software ok (Half LIfe 2, X3 etc..) using an emulator, speeds are comparable to 32 bit, but when you get holda 64bit stuff, its smooth, Far Cry 64, Unreal2004 64, its lovely Cheesy

Only thing which cant work is drivers, and firewalls, and anti virus, the important stuff Sad
N/A

64bit firewall?

Hi,

Yes! as before thats becuase most vendors wont have written 64bit drivers yet, nor firewalls nor AV software. The point you have to understand is that unless there is a direct market driven urgency for such stuff these companies are NOT going to create 64bit versions unless its worth there while and at the moment it seems like the market incentives are VERY small. But that will definately change in future, when I have no idea so your guess is as good as mine.

**Sorry! dont mean to put a damper on it but just try to give you a considered opinion.

Ivan
David_W
Rising Star

64bit firewall?

Hopefully it will be soon, already cant use my webcam, which I guess is ok, might have to look at a professional edition for my firewall though.