cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

2mb, still slow

N/A

2mb, still slow

I have for some time downgraded to up to 2mb, but I am still only getting speed tests from between 400kbs to around 700kbs. A few times in the past it has read at 960 ish. I just wondered if I should be getting readings closer to 2mb at times and if not, why not?
10 REPLIES
slev
Grafter

2mb, still slow

HI

Are you using a router ?

What does your equipment report ( line speed connection )

Has your line been upgraded yet to 2mb ?

Have you tried the BT test information HERE ?

This is my result I have just done using the speed tester here in the Connection Settings area of My Account

Your current speed is:

1.87 Mbps

Which means you can download at 239.47 KB/sec. from our servers.

Kind Regards

Ian
N/A

2mb, still slow

Am using router modem, best speed test today is 940 - 970 kbs, with antivirus disabled.
BT test came up as 976 kilo bits per second (Kbps),
Yes I have three computers running, but this test has been done with only one connected.
I certainly have never had over 1mb
Any help
slev
Grafter

2mb, still slow

well to be honest sounds like your line has not been upgraded yet to the 2 mb speed at the exchange

Regards

Ian
N/A

2mb, still slow

Thanks Ian,
I have just checked my exchange details at http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/
and it appears work on certain upgrades is yet to start:
Reported:
LEA_DSL_101 Upgrades on this DSLAM will commence in Aug 2005

I'll wait and see
Thanks again
Phil
slev
Grafter

2mb, still slow

Hi

Thats the same as mine , i would of had to wait nearly 4 months for mine from when the free upgrades were announced so I decided to pay the £14.99 to jump the que and it was done in 7 hours from when I ordered it !

Think I was lucky as it can take upto 10 days so sometimes paying the £14.99 is worth it if you don't want to wait.

Good luck with the upgrade.

Regards

Ian
N/A

2mb, still slow

Money talks, hey, as they say theres no such thing as a free meal ticket.
Phil
N/A

Worth the cost Ivan

Hello,

YEP! just to add my bit here, £14.99 best money I think I've spent in a long time. It was definately 100% worth every penny when I read across other forums how much time & energy other users spend on complaining about how long free for nothing upgrades are taking BT. Frankly paying for the upgrade made complete sense and TBH £14.99 isnt mega bucks really.

If your pocket can stretch to the cost of the paid upgrade then I think you will see its worth the fee involved. I now have a fully working 2MB service and its brilliant, highly recommend it too you.

Best Regards Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Your Forum Your Voice,Get Involved!
N/A

2mb, still slow

Thanks again, I assume one pays this to FOL/Plusnet to issue the order.
I'll certainly look into it, may wait till after my Hol's.
I wish all this information was given out to FOL customers in the first place, save all the time, as you say, finding out the problems, what about those who have signed up not knowing any different assumeing everything is the norm.
Cheers again Phil
N/A

A Paid upgrade Ivan

Hello Phil,

Yes! thats correct the upgrade fee is paid to FOL or PN and the best way too do this is to either phone the CSC and request a paid for upgrade (or regrade),anyway explain your situation and what upgrade you want.

Check that this is OK and possible, next ask how long it might take (the standard answer is usually 7-10 working BT days) but mine was upgraded within 24Hrs and its been perfect ever since then.

**I definately do advise you too check your local BT exchange status though before placing this order, check your exchange supports a 2MB ADSL service. Which it should (NOT all do, but a growing number of BT exchanges do now). If it does then your fine just crack on with the upgrade.

You can check the BT exchange status via the following sites:-

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/index.php

http://users.plus.net/

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Your Forum Your Voice,Get Involved!
N/A

2mb, still slow

As of todays check 31/08/05 I got 1.87mbs.
Cool