cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

28.8Kbps Connection speed

N/A

Could someone please advise what connection speed should show in my ADSL connection ? I have a 512k link and when I connect it says the connection speed is 28.8Kbps - is this correct ? is it just reporting the upstream speed ?
I have used the speed tester on F9's site and it says my connection is fine.

Thanks
6 REPLIES
N/A

are you actually misreading the information as you should be getting figures similar to the following

Upstream = 288kbps
DownStream = 576kbps

regards
Mike
N/A

Managed to check my Anypoint ADSL modem stats and got 28.8Kbps Upstream and 576Kbps down stream. So it looks like the Windows connection manager just reports the upstream connection.

Thanks
N/A

What speed do you get when uploading/downloading?

If you are really getting 28.8Kbps upstream (and not misreading 288Kbps which is what you should have) then your line must be VERY lossy and you'd only be getting about 2-3K/sec upload speeds instead of the 20-30K/sec you should get.
In that case id be suggesting you check any extention cables you have on the line, telephones, microfilters, basically everything connected to that line which might be dropping your speed.
N/A

My Intel Anypoint modem stats say 288Kbps upstream and 576Kbps downstream. But the windows dialer says 28.8Kbps ? . This is were the confusion comes in. At first I thought the windows dialer weas saying 28.8KBps and not 28.8Kbps (Bytes as opposed to bits) , but no , they all say Kbps.

It may be my connection is OK , does anyone know if windows dialer only reports the upstream ? and if so why doesn't it say 288Kbps

Thanks
N/A

Again, it really depends on the speeds you are REALLY getting when uploading stuff.

As far as I know the dialer would normally show your downstream speed, as it usually does with traditional dialup, but it can vary and exactly why I really do not know.

At the end of the day you do not need to worry about what it says unless you are getting slower than expected upload speeds. As the modem stats themselves are showing the correct value then id be surprised if it was anything more than just a glitch in the driver thats causing it to display wrong even though its connected right.
N/A

Have you tried using the Force9 Speed checker, under the connection settings menu.