cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

256k connection still?

geewizz
Grafter

256k connection still?

Everything says I should be getting 500k but the speed tests always return much less than that (never even close to 300k). The results page on the speed test says, "contact us if you are getting results below 300k."(or something close to that anyway.) I have tried to resolve this a few times this year but I just get scared by threats of £46+VAT "fines" if it turns out that its my equipment that is at fault.

Can anyone suggest to me how I ask nicely, as the "contact us" system is just a maze to me, and I don't want to have someone answer my query with "Nothing wrong at this end, mate. That'll be £46+VAT, thanks."

Am I destined to be left behind in the slow end of broadband and pay the same as those getting 8 times my speed?

Phil Sad
9 REPLIES
N/A

Connections problems Ivan

Hi Phil,

Sorry! to hear about the problem with your connection & speeds. First of all can you give alittle bit more information on your equipment and what product or service from FOL are you using, 512K or 1MB or 2MB's.

**It might be a problem with your actual phone line? or the quality of the signal from one end of the line to another. Either way it should be possible to test the line and measure the line condition.

**You might need FOL to perform a whoosh test to see whats happening.

**If it IS found to be a BT problem then it would have to be passed over to BT faults and sadly they are NOT quick with such things.

**Have you tried different speed testers

**Have you tweaked your connections MTU this can make a difference too.

**Have you been upgraded recently from one product to another?

Ivan
--------------------------------------------------
F9 FOL Forum Moderator
F9 Broadband Premier 2MB User
Your Forum, Make Your Voice Count!
geewizz
Grafter

Re: Connections problems Ivan

Thanks for the quick reply Smiley
Sorry! to hear about the problem with your connection & speeds. First of all can you give alittle bit more information on your equipment and what product or service from FOL are you using, 512K or 1MB or 2MB's

I'm using an 850MHz machine with a Binatone ADSL500 USB Modem, Windows ME and Firefox. I have a firewall but I disabled it for some of the speed testsand it made no difference to the results..

**Have you tried different speed testers

Yes, I've used at least 4 different ones and they all report the same figures to within 20kb/s.

**Have you tweaked your connections MTU this can make a difference too.

I will try to find out more on that. I saw it mentioned on the troubleshooter but the sequence of suggested fixes advises me to contact support as the next step (before reaching anything about MTU.)

**Have you been upgraded recently from one product to another?

Neither deliberately or by request. As I understand it, everyone was upgraded to a 1 or 2Mb/s connection, where its available. I have assumed that it was unavailable in my area and I've just been making do with 256kb/s

I'll try and follow the MTU route and I'll report back with the results.

Thanks again,

Phil
slev
Grafter

Neither deliberately or by request. As I understand it, everyone was upgraded to a 1 or 2Mb/s connection, where its available. I have assumed that it was unavailable in my area and I've just been making do with 256kb/s

Hi

Not all the line upgrades are complete yet,

Have you tried entering you details HERE to see what it states about your exchange ? look for the part that says

BT has published upgrade information for this exchange
Click here for further details

Kind Regards

Ian
geewizz
Grafter

Not all the line upgrades are complete yet,

Thanks for your reply Ian Smiley

I'm more confused than ever now. :?
When I opted to upgrade to broadand at christmas, I was under the impression that I could choose between 250k and 500k. Is it possible that the exchange can only handle 250k? I happen to know that the neighbouring exchange at Crawford was the last to be working with a strowger electro-mechanical set-up on mainland Britain, so if there are any exchanges that can't provide 500k, ours would probably be one of those.

I looked at the link you gave and read what was there. I see lots of things saying that the status is green and everything is working. That's nice but it doesn't really say WHAT is working and to what capacity.To the layperson that information could just as well mean that there is electricity to the exchange and that broadband is available. (Although, if you read the disclaimer at the bottom, that may be untrue anyway.).

MTU - hmmm :? Ok. I read the bit that says that MTU can be tweaked but its "beyond the scope of this page" to explain how or where. I had a look at some of the boxes that my PC throws up by clicking on various things that include "ADSL500" in the description. I couldn't find anything obvious with the acronym MTU in it.

I wonder if my exchange is only capable of 250k and I'm barking up the wrong tree. If I was to sign up for a new account, I'm sure FOL would be able to tell me the maximum speed I would be able to get. Would it be better to cancel my subscription and re-apply? If that costs less than £46+VAT then it might be my best option.
slev
Grafter

256k connection still?

Hi

Try the link below with your post code and phone number see what it tells you.

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.php

When the results are shown click the menu box that says

BT ADSL

But for some reason though I just checked my phone number and got the following results.

The following level of service is available at your location:

You cannot receive 2Mbps ADSL
You may be able to receive 1Mbps ADSL
You can receive 512Kbps ADSL
You can receive 256Kbps ADSL

You are approximately 2.12km from the exchange (straight line distance).

The rest below that information you just ignore about compatability issues, but it states I can not get 2 mb and maybe 1mb

Strange as I am on 2 mb with no problems.

You can also check direct with BT at their website for the same results as I just found out.

Kind Regards

Ian
N/A

Re: 256k connection still?

Can anyone suggest to me how I ask nicely, as the "contact us" system is just a maze to me, and I don't want to have someone answer my query with "Nothing wrong at this end, mate. That'll be £46+VAT, thanks."

I think it's worth pointing out that FOL's support staff do their best to be helpful - they're not given to raising arbitrary charges without good reason. In your situation I'd be inclined to do the following things as far as possible, in roughly this order:

- Try to find your original connection settings information as sent by FOL when you signed up. If you can't, make a note of the info available online by going to Connection settings and selecting Connection Details. Verify as far as possible that the ADSL settings for your modem match up correctly.

- If possible, borrow a different modem or router from someone else and test - if it runs at a decent speed you'll know your modem is the problem. Ideally, get a helpful friend to bring round their PC, modem/router and ADSL cable (even damaged cables can affect the performance you get).

- If that doesn't work, raise a Contact Us ticket stating with as much relevant information as possible your current predicament, and requesting advice on what you can do to ensure the problem isn't at your end. Follow any guidance in the reply (don't hold your breath, but they do tend to be pretty prompt with replies).

- If all works nicely, beam broadly and make the most of your new speed Wink

- If it's still slow, update the ticket to let FOL know. I assume at this stage that they'll run tests from their end, possibly passing things on to BT if necessary. I would guess that this is the stage where support charges might become an issue if they were later to find that you hadn't done all the things which they've asked you to and which you've confirmed you've done.

At this stage, really don't hold your breath - as far as I can tell BT's approach to broadband support issues is to hide them all in a dark cellar in the hope that broadband will become obsolete. Unfortunately I suspect from what you've described that it probably is a BT line problem.

Good luck!
Peter

Note to any FOL staff reading - the link to the list of charges from the pre-04 Contract Terms is invalid. Is this where the £46+VAT charge is mentioned?
geewizz
Grafter

256k connection still?

Hi

Try the link below with your post code and phone number see what it tells you.

http://www.samknows.com/broadband/checker2.php

When the results are shown click the menu box that says

BT ADSL

Thanks Ian,

I went through that link and got the following results :

[BT ADSL Code: RGEC] You cannot receive 2Mbps ADSL
[BT ADSL Code: RGEC] You cannot receive 1Mbps ADSL
[BT ADSL Code: RGEC] You can receive 512Kbps ADSL
[BT ADSL Code: RGEC] You can receive 256Kbps ADSL

However, there appears to a compatibility issue with your phone line. This could be caused by an existing broadband connection, ISDN, a DACS unit, TPON, a pending ADSL order or many other common issues. This will need to be resolved before ADSL can be supplied to your line.

Is that "compatibility issue" generated by the fact that I'm querying this particular issue by using the very same ADSL connection in question?

So, judging from those results, I should be able to get 512Kbps. All I need to know now is why I don't. Back to the original question, does FOL automatically upgrade 256Kbps accounts (as I ordered and recieved in December) or is there something I have to do from this end to activate the upgrade?
slev
Grafter

256k connection still?

Hi

The compatabliity issue is cause your already on adsl,

Have you tried the BT Speed test yet to see if you have been upgraded upto the exchange ?

have a look in the tutorials area of the forum on how to do this if you havent yet.

http://portal.free-online.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1316

Cheers

Ian
geewizz
Grafter

256k connection still?

Hi

The compatabliity issue is cause your already on adsl,

Have you tried the BT Speed test yet to see if you have been upgraded upto the exchange ?

No and having looked at the 4 pages of "used as a guide only" and "Beta release", and decided that the "power cycle" and "winipcfg" stuff is just a bit too technical for me, I've taken the decision to put the broadband speed available to me out of my mind.

have a look in the tutorials area of the forum on how to do this if you havent yet.

http://portal.free-online.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1316

Cheers

Ian

I think I'll just downgrade my account to the £14.99 package and accept that, if you want a fast connection, you have to put the hours in. Those hours are totalling more than the ones lost through waiting for pages to download. :lol:

Thanks to eveyone who offered help. I'm sorry that I hadn't realised it would take so many diagnostic tests to tell me that I have a slow connection and that it may be a problem somewhere between my PC, the phoneline, the exchange and my ISP.

Seriously though, I appreciate the time and effort put into the replies. I'm just not patient enough to carry on putting hours into this unless I know for definite that it will get the 512Kb that I'm paying for. There is no mention anywhere now of a slower broadband speed on the packages available. That's why I queried the apparent 256Kb speed I have.

Phil