cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

1mb requiremnets

okmbok
Grafter

1mb requiremnets

Can anyone tell me what are the limits ofr 1Mb or 2Mb adsl?

my stats are: from my ( router)

ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 576 kbps 288 kbps
Line Attenuation 52 db 30 db
Noise Margin 25 db 30 db

Thanks if u can help
11 REPLIES
N/A

1mb requiremnets

Can anyone tell me what are the limits ofr 1Mb or 2Mb adsl?

usage limit? look at the fair usage policy thing for more details
okmbok
Grafter

1mb requiremnets

I meant the limits on attenuation and SNR for 1Mb
N/A

1mb requiremnets

I have a overall loop loss of 63db & have had some problems with intermittent connection loss.
The official loop loss limit is 60db for 1mb, but there maybe a revision of this limit when BT roll out the freel 8mb upgrade to customers, which F9 will be rolling out from April as far as I am aware.

So with a loss of about 52 you should be ok for 1mb, I advise you remove any un-needed telephone extentions & old phones as these can affect line quality.

I hope this helps
N/A

1mb requiremnets

The official loop loss limit is 60db for 1mb, but there maybe a revision of this limit when BT roll out the freel 8mb upgrade to customers, which F9 will be rolling out from April as far as I am aware.

I thought 60db was the threshold regardless of the bandwidth, it's a matter of whether the noise was consistent across the required spectrum, more bandwidth requires a wider spectrum, so the the introduction of a kink in the copper could be sufficient to errode an otherwise 'quiet' lines ability to handle higher bandwidth.

Have you got a full chart of BW/db ? 'cos that would be cool Cool

Am I wrong? if so putting me right would be nice too.
Cheesy
N/A

1mb requiremnets

If you have a look at the link below it will explain loss.

http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/12

512k should be available on most lines
1mb requires a loss of 60db or less
2mb requires a loss of 45db or less

BT allow for a 4db increase which is caused by the Activation of ADSL on your line. which is why my 1mb connection ia available but suffers from 63db loss.
N/A

1mb requiremnets

Cheers for that.

I suspect it's a little bit simplistic, but it draws the bottom line pretty well and I appreciate the link.

Cheers

Mattley
N/A

1mb requiremnets

Thats interesting as my router is reporting 47db so maybe, just maybe I will be lucky and can jump to 2Mbit next month. Im hoping the changes will allow us to push our lines a little over the so-called "line limit" so we can finally see EXACTLY how fast our lines can go. Lets face it, if the result of pushing a little over the limit means the ocassional drop, its a small price to pay for double the speed the rest of the time.

An interesting fact is that my router says my local loop is about 10 K ft. I did a google search and some countries have 3Mbit available on up to 10 K ft, so maybe BT are still being on the cautious side due to the current cost of upgrading lines. So this would tally again with my hope for once its fully automated (again, next month), that they might let us push the line limit a bit harder.

I was going to ask PlusNet about this but I figure theres not much point until next month once we can finally see what options we get on the portal.
N/A

What might be possible?

Hi,

Of course there might also be something else which we all havent yet considered? which is that if BT's own infrastructure (network links, & pipes etc) are upgraded then it MIGHT!! just be possible that the signal strength to the end users are also increased.

So there might then be a domino effect that also currently some users have threashold level for things like SNR or attenuation or noise levels in db. where by you wouldnt currently get say 2MB's after the upgrade perhaps its a different ball game. The rules governing how MaxDSL works might be slightly different than presently. These threasholds might also be changed by the upgrading process (I dont know its just a thought that crossed my mind) and so 4MBs or 8MBs might actualy be possible?? But I'm NOT holding my breath though.

Ivan
N/A

1mb requiremnets

It certainly seems that unless there IS some more give in the loss then very VERY few people will be able to get 4Mbit and 8Mbit as you will have to LITERALLY live next door to the exchange to get it otherwise. :shock:
N/A

upgrades

Hi Again,

Yes! I completely agree with the point you've made, I too think it will be very unlikely that most users will get 4MB's or 8MB's. And even though where I currently live is only about 3/4 of a mile to a major BT transit exchange here in Leeds I will be very suprised if I can get 4MB or 8MB's.

**Incidently I saw a large street poster yesturday for a company called Bulldog advertising 4MB's broadband available now?

Ivan
N/A

1mb requiremnets

I've been aware of bulldog for a few years now, but I got the inpression that the service wasn't as reliable as Force9, which is why I'm here.

Inreferance to the occasional line drop not being a problem, I personally would find that a major problem, I spend a fair amount of time playing Battlefield & a line dropout would pretty much end my game & reset my scores. but for non gaming purposes I see how it wouldn't be a big problem.

I've not heard anymore about the new free regrade, I have checked the BTwholesale website & can't find any recent updates either.
It would appear that April is the roll out date.

Any chance of an update please F9?