cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

10% at all times

N/A

10% at all times

I have monitored my connection over several weeks .At all times including the early hours of the morning I can only receive and send 10% of my connection speed.I know there is a contention ratio,but I was wondering if any other users had the same problem.Is there a fix?
I have talked to two other users and they both seem to have the same problem.I have also tried the fixes offered on the f9 site.My connection was much faster when I first signed up for ADSL than it has been lately although connections are more stable.
1 REPLY
N/A

RE: 10% at all timesREPLY & TCP/IP

> I have monitored my connection over several weeks .At all times including the early hours of the morning I can only receive and send 10% of my connection speed.I know there is a contention ratio,but I was wondering if any other users had the same problem.Is there a fix?
> I have talked to two other users and they both seem to have the same problem.I have also tried the fixes offered on the f9 site.My connection was much faster when I first signed up for ADSL than it has been lately although connections are more stable.

Hi,
most people using the internet & broadband use the protocol TCP/IP (which stands for tranmsission control protocol/internet protocol)no matter what time of the day or night, despite traffic flow across the internet. TCP/IP always uses a small chunk of the available bandwidth for what is termed overhead, this overhead can infact be as much as 10% of the bandwidth.

The TCP/IP overhead is what is used to guarentee the precise delivery of each packet of data sent (to ensure that the file or page you've connected to is downloaded as it should be)TCP/IP is a connection orientated protocol and it uses the overhead to ensure the connections accuracy so this might be what your seing.

Best Regards
Ivan

--