Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

So what is the conclusion?

VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

So what is the conclusion?

What conclusions have been drawn from the CG NAT trial?
It's basically a non-starter for me.

4 REPLIES
andy265
Grafter

Re: So what is the conclusion?

Apart from not having a static IP which I use to access things for work, it didn't make any difference at all to the things I use my connection for.
brueton
Grafter

I had a minor problem.
Friend who used it had no problems at all.
If it is decided to proceed then here are my suggestions for two methods that might be used by Plusnet for CGNAT, I am sure others are possible.
1) Static IP address are non-CGNAT.
2) Extra charge, either one off or monthly for non-CGNAT.
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 43

It's probably too soon for firm conclusions to be drawn, but it seems clear from the feedback reports that the "basic" internet access operations required by many users work from behind CGNAT. Using APIs others can possibly be made to do so, but as expected the more advanced protocols can't. It was never expected that those involving unsolicited inbound access would work.
Plusnet will also have gathered useful operational experience of running a CGNAT environment.
David
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Quote from: PeteB
I had a minor problem.
Friend who used it had no problems at all.
If it is decided to proceed then here are my suggestions for two methods that might be used by Plusnet for CGNAT, I am sure others are possible.
1) Static IP address are non-CGNAT.
2) Extra charge, either one off or monthly for non-CGNAT.

If Plusnet want to use their free of charge CGNAT addresses, they surely should be handing out IPV4 addresses, gratis to those who ask for them.
Similarly, Plusnet could offer discounts to those who are prepared to make do with the inferior CGNAT product.