Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 

IP Address sharing?

Highlighted
Grafter

IP Address sharing?

I read an article this morning (http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/broadband/381646/customers-fume-as-bt-introduces-ip-sharing) which says that BT are planning on introducing IP address sharing amongst its broadband customers, based on a trial carried out by plusnet.  Does anyone know if Plusnet are planning on rolling this out?  I have port forwarding set up on my router to allow a program on my laptop to share data with the outside world, IP sharing would prevent this from working and give me cause to think about moving broadband supplier.
Does anyone know any details on this?
Cheers,
Al.
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 44

Re: IP Address sharing?

Moved to Trials board as that is where the information is
Grafter

Other than the trial we've run and the information there, there's nothing further we can add really. Nothing regarding the implementation of this (if it is indeed something we end up doing) has been decided on as yet.
Grafter

Is this related to ipv6 or ISP level NAT (i.e something smiler to what Three do?) as the amount of ipv6 ip's available if i recall every electric device in the world could have a range of ips with plenty to spare.
Grafter

This applies to Carrier Grade NAT and seems to be a way of extending the life of IP V4..  Which makes me wonder if the topic does belong in the IPV6 forum?
Al.
jim:quote
Community Veteran
Fixes: 44

Sorry - I put it in the wrong place  Embarrassed Embarrassed - fixed
Grafter

Quote from: Matt
Other than the trial we've run and the information there, there's nothing further we can add really. Nothing regarding the implementation of this (if it is indeed something we end up doing) has been decided on as yet.

Thanks Matt.  Hopefully any decision will take into account the likely impact on customer's use of port forwarding and other such technologies that rely on having a unique IP address.
Al.
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

they would have to charge you a fee for a static ip address if that was the case,
*most* things don't require port forwarding now though, correctly allowing upnp on the pc and the router should negate any requirement for specific ports to be provided to a specific device, meaning that you still get the firewall part of the router to use instead of it just being a glorified switch .....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
MJN
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

In the context of NAT traversal, all UPNP is is an automated method of setting port forwarding and firewall rules up. It doesn't replace or negate their need in any way.
Grafter

My guess is that some ISPs will apply CG NAT without telling customers - in the same way that they apply dynamic addresses now.
Better ones will offer options to opt out of it for customers that need a public IP - though they'll probably charge in much the same way as many now charge for a fixed IP (which will be governed by marketing rather than technical considerations).
So if you need a fixed, public IP - be prepared to pay extra for it, or switch to a better ISP.
I'll add that currently, PlusNet doesn't charge for a static IP (at least on my package) Smiley As long as enough customers are happy behind CG NAT to allow them to stay within their IPv4 allocations, then they might not feel the need to change that.
MJN
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

I think you're spot on with that Simon, and it's happening already.
A while back my nightly backups to my brother, who lives in Luxembourg, were failing. It was a real headscratcher as they'd been working perfectly for years. The dynamic DNS script at his end was keeping up with his address changes yet I couldn't connect (over SSH). To add to the confusion things were fine over IPv6 (his ISP is dual stack) but just not IPv4 (which his NAS only supports).
It turns out that following his ISP's IPv6 rollout they had to employ CGN on their IPv4 service due to a shortage of IPv4 address space. This was done without telling customers - I don't necessarilly suspect any malpractice here; I think it was more a case that the vast majority of customers wouldn't have a clue what they were on about anyway!
We were able to solve the problem by him getting a non-CGN'd IPv4 address which, as you suspected, cost him extra (coupe of Euros/month I think).
It's definitely a hint of things to come - IPv4 will become more expensive to run than IPv6.