1. Everything I use seems to work great, I've tried:
- Facetime
- iMessage
- iCloud Backups (and restoring from)
- App Downloads
- YouTube, websites in general etc
- FTP works,
- Gateway checker works
Now I don't know if this is directly because of CG-NAT or more to do with the issues PN have been having recently, but Spotify and YouTube have been buffering like crazy this evening.
Torrents: my server seems to be happily seeding away BUT I cannot get a torrent of Fedora to download at a consistent rate, see the attachment. (uTorrent says there are no incoming connections, etc) (there are 600 seeds..)
Another issue I've run into is when I was speed testing I was getting complaints of lag. During a speedtest, my latency spikes up to >100ms (see attachment), so my question would be is there something going wrong with traffic prioritisation somewhere?
Note: this definitely doesn't happen on my normal account.
Latency seems pretty jittery too but I guess that's just general congestion?
HTH,
Alex Smiley
7 REPLIES
MJN
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Day 1 Feedback

Quote from: houlton23
Torrents: my server seems to be happily seeding away BUT I cannot get a torrent of Fedora to download at a consistent rate, see the attachment. (uTorrent says there are no incoming connections, etc) (there are 600 seeds..)

I'd leave it running for longer before determining any issues. Note that whilst there might be 602 seeds in the swarm you are only connected to, and thus can potentially download from, 35 of them - and the might have there own reasons for not letting you download.
You're only downloading from two peers and given you've only just started the download you won't be a very attractive peer. An average 244kB/s downstream rate isn't bad at all!
Mathew
Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Another issue I've run into is when I was speed testing I was getting complaints of lag. During a speedtest, my latency spikes up to >100ms (see attachment), so my question would be is there something going wrong with traffic prioritisation somewhere?

Prioritisation shouldn't affect latency, not sure what's happening there - the profile is basically Broadband Plus but with no rate limits set. Did you run a speed test on your regular account following that one, just in case it was an issue going on on your line at the time?
Don't think there were any issues affecting the gateway being used either. Was the latency seen on the same PC, or others on the network?

Latency seems pretty jittery too but I guess that's just general congestion?

Possibly, not sure how busy that gateway was last night unless you're talking at exchange level?
houlton23
Grafter

Quote from: Matt
Did you run a speed test on your regular account following that one, just in case it was an issue going on on your line at the time?

Yes, it was normal with no latency spikes whilst running the speed test. So no line problem, plus it was repeatable throughout the evening.
Quote from: Matt
Possibly, not sure how busy that gateway was last night unless you're talking at exchange level?

No not exchange level, was fine on normal account so must just have been pcl-ag08. Noticed most of the ping graphs showed some latency last night anyway.
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hmmm. Was there any latency on other services aside from the speed test? Also if you do a traceroute (I guess to the speed test server would be best) did it show any particular hops were slower than others?
Re the latency graphs, how did you get these? Not sure the TBB one would continue to work with CG-NAT.
ETA: which speed test was it you used?
houlton23
Grafter

I guess it might just be because there's no PN profile, which causes the spikes when I saturate the connection? (It was speedtest.net btw)
I was referring to the normal ping graphs page, which showed most gateways had some latency, hence why I thought it may be just general congestion?
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I guess it might just be because there's no PN profile, which causes the spikes when I saturate the connection? (It was speedtest.net btw)

Ah, could well be, yeah - I've now set a profile on your test account to match your line speed (71200), hopefully that'll make a difference.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Bit torrent is completely hopeless.
Downloads are fine - if you do not want to contribute any uploads.
Distributed trackers etc seem to be disabled.
So you can only "leech" off of those prepared to be uploaders.
Here is a Mageia torrent:-