Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BitTorrent

Plusnet Staff
Plusnet Staff
Fixes: 1

BitTorrent

Downloading - seems to work fine, been able to get line speed at least
Uploading while downloading - I can upload to people I'm downloading from, not sure whether people I'm not downloading from can upload from me
Uploading once download completes - if I was uploading to someone that was uploading to before the download finished then that upload will continue. Not sure if new people can connect.
Needs a bit more testing I think to see exactly what happens but this is one of those protocols that is going to have problems because of the nature of the inbound connections that can be made.
5 REPLIES
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Re: BitTorrent

It fails because PEX and DHT don't work.
Peer exchange or PeX is a communications protocol that augments the BitTorrent file sharing protocol. It allows a group of users (or peers) that are collaborating to share a given file to do so more swiftly and efficiently.
In the original design of the BitTorrent file sharing protocol, peers (users) in a file sharing group (known as a "swarm") relied upon a central computer server called a tracker to find each other and to maintain the swarm. PEX greatly reduces the reliance of peers on a tracker by allowing each peer to directly update others in the swarm as to which peers are currently in the swarm. By reducing dependency on a centralized tracker, PEX increases the speed, efficiency, and robustness of the BitTorrent protocol.

DHT is used to find the IP addresses of peers, mostly in addition to a tracker. It is enabled by default in clients such as uTorrent and Vuze and millions of people are already using it without knowing.

I think there may be some additional protocols to find peers.
As things stand, you are restricted to those IP's recorded in the tracker.
If everyone goes for CGNAT, it won't work at all.

FoolishlyWise
Grafter

I use Transmission on a MyBookWorld - It requires a port to be open so it can communicate through the router. So I used to port forward the port so it worked.
As CGNAT pretty much makes port forwarding useless and it doesnt work, its useless for any BitTorrent clients that rely on port forwarding.
-But, uTorrent on the PC's work, its just the MBW Transmission that does not connect to clients properly. Only going at 306Kb/s on MBW but 2MB-4MB/s on the laptops. Is this to be expected or something?
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro

I use Transmission as a client on Linux.
I don't have to explicitly open any ports on the router for it.
It managed about 900KBytes/sec on a Linux download - but there were hundreds of peers mostly sharing a central tracker.
I would normally expect about 4MBytes/sec.  Grin
Non-mass downloads would be much more severely impacted.
Also, it doesn't appear to be possible to upload to peers?
Perhaps uPnP isn't set up properly on the Mac?

Fixes: 113

MyBookWorld isn't a mac product it's a Western Digital box with a BitTorrent client built in I believe..
Will Moderate For Thanks
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro

Just tried a popular non-Linux distro bit torrent.
It managed a reasonable download speed (1MB/s) but only 2kBytes/s uploading.