cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

switched from EE and new Plusnet router AWFUL!

lelole

switched from EE and new Plusnet router AWFUL!

Hi,

We were on EE fibre residential with few problems, except a bit of buffering on video calls on evenings and weekends.  Decided that we should get business broadband as my work is beginning to rely more on video calls.  

Switched to Plusnet business and the broadband itself (on ethernet) seems to be pretty good, very stable.  However the WIFI access is shocking.  Main speed into router is about 50Mps, into devices we are looking at about 8 if that, and lots of failure to connect, buffering etc.  My daughters phone wont work at all - it says its connected but she cant use the internet.  (iphone se)

These devices all worked well on EE. 

We've had an engineer out and he has checked for faults and there are none, so we can only assume it's the router (interestingly when we were with BT prior to EE we had no end of similar problems with a suspiciously similar looking router!).  

Following the advice of the engineer we split the router signal into dual band, 2.4 and 5, but it hasn't made much difference, if any.  Now we have a device (a canary) which not connect at all - asking for a 2.4 signal (which is what we are connecting it to).

I've been looking at routers on Amazon, and have been debating just buying a better router, but I'm not particularly techie, and feel a bit miffed that I'm paying more for my broadband and needing to buy a router on top!  Also worried that it will affect getting plusnet support if anything goes wrong... but we are stuck with this for the next 2 years so we have to do something!

Help or advice much appreciated...

7 REPLIES 7
DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Re: switched from EE and new Plusnet router AWFUL!

Welcome to the forums @lelole 

Being as you've split the wifi, did you manually select a wifi channel for both the 2.4 and 5GHz? If not it might be worth using a wifi analyser app (free one) on a mobile phone or tablet and then selecting a channel with the least congestion.

However, it might be the current software on the router. Can you post up the software version and the date it was installed? To do this, click this link and scroll to the bottom - http://192.168.1.254

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

If your old EE Router isn't locked to EE, try & alter configuration settings to PN's.
A used BT Router off E Bay is an option, as it's locked to BT & EE networks.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Hi there.

Thanks for getting in touch.

I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing problems with your router.

Can you try the steps Here as well as Here letting us know how it goes?

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from My Router to Business

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

When looking for a "better" channel, select on one of 1, 6 or 11 - use any other and you risk channel over-lap which is more detrimental that channel co-existence.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

@lelole 

As a starter pending getting any further equipment, assuming you had an EE Smart Hub it seems to have a WAN socket (marked in red on the back).

By some means it may be possible to get the EE Smart Hub to use the WAN connection facing into the Plusnet router.

A quick Google was not able to confirm if that is (or is not) possible.

What Mr Google did seem to confirm was that the EE Smart Hub is similar to the newest BT Smart Hub. These are relatively cheap second hand and there is info in the "My Router" section on using them with Plusnet.

The Plusnet VDSL router is based on an older BT Home Hub design and doesn't seem to have the performance of the newer versions.

I am the satisfied customer....