cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"activate your static IP" not working

markpage66

"activate your static IP" not working

Hi,

I have Business Broadband and when I go to the members centre to activate my static IP nothing happens after I click the link; the menu is just re-displayed with no content and my IP is left dynamic. Any ideas?

TIA.

6 REPLIES 6
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Re: "activate your static IP" not working

Thanks for reaching out, I'm sorry to see you're having difficulty in activating your static IP online. 

I can see we've added that on for you manually around half an hour ago, let us know if you need any further assistance.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

I don't know if the business service is different to we residential customers but when I moved to a static IP address I needed to drop the connection then reconnect to get my modem/router to pick up the new IP address.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

This user had not got that far - their control panel was not displaying the allocated static IP address.  If it were then the suggestion to reboot the router would have been helpful to pick up the allocated IP address.

That said I have just looked at this on a residential account (which has a fixed IP address) and found that the website interface to turn this on / off has been removed … leaving this as one of the few residual issues for which a residential user is permitted to raise a support ticket.

I also looked at a business account ... which reported ...

If you are an existing customer
Unfortunately, this feature is not available with your current account. To raise any queries and to upgrade your account, please use the Contact Us tool here at the Portal

Which seems odd as (a) I thought this account had a static IP address and (b) business accounts (certainly this legacy one) came with a fixed IP address available by default.  From the sales pages...

Static IP address

Our products have a Dynamic IP assigned by default, but you can request a Static IP once your account is created.

Something looks odd around here!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

I've just checked one of my business accounts, which definitely does have a static IP and I've got the same as @Townman 

Edit: Same with a residential account that has a static IP too

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Ironically my residential account correctly reports my static IP address.

Looks like a portal problem!

DavidS24

Hi, to make a statistical IP address, you need very little time and a minimum of skills. By the way, why is this needed? Setting a static IP address is important in several situations, for example, if you work with torrent trackers, have a home server, or are actively using router ports. In these cases, it is difficult to do without a permanent IP. To read more you can here: https://sitechecker.pro/ip-checker/. So, here's how to set a permanent IP address in a Windows 7 environment (in other versions of Windows, the procedure may vary slightly). Go to the "Start" menu, then "Run ...", and in the field that appears, enter "cmd" (without quotes). A terminal window will open.