Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"About your broadband speed" email

corringham
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 16

"About your broadband speed" email

I recently moved from a residential to a business account (I work from home full time so using a residential account was against the T&Cs).

Today I received the 14 day "About you broadband speed" email.

The speed itself is as I expected:

Estimated line speed: 5Mbps to 12Mbps
This shows the normally available speeds your line is capable of. You may have chosen to buy a product which runs at slower speeds.
Current line speed: 13.9Mbps
This is a measure of the actual line speed you are now receiving based on the product you have taken.
Minimum guaranteed access line speed: 2.5Mbps

but the following bit stood out for me:

Other factors which can affect your speed:

The time of day. In other words how busy our network and the Internet are (8-10pm being the busiest time, when speeds can reduce significantly)

as this is quite a different message to that on the Business "About our network" page:

Extra capacity - We don't overload our broadband service. We closely monitor network capacity and usage patterns, planning for and making investment in both extra bandwidth and network resilience. So, whenever customer numbers and demand for bandwidth-heavy applications increase we're ready.

and

Flexing our network under demand

When traffic volumes increase we can flex our network, to cope with normal daily peaks and troughs.

Am I wrong to have read this to mean that there should be NO regular slowdown expected at peak times? Or is the email wrong in suggesting that Plusnet's network is subject to overloading at peak times?

1 REPLY 1
Jubby
All Star
Fixes: 31

Re: "About your broadband speed" email

Hi @corringham,

The speed of your service is not guaranteed to be effected by regular slow downs during peak times however, this usually occurs during times of major events for example the olympics or world cup.

If a fault occurs where the virtual path your connection is operating through becomes over subscribed and bandwidth isn't as available as it should be, we normally have an option to liaise with our suppliers and move the circuit over to a less utilized virtual path.

Hope this helps.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Lewis G
 Infrastructure Operations Professional