cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

port phone number from plusnet to sky

mitchbase
Dabbler

port phone number from plusnet to sky

Trying to join sky and they say they are unable to port my phone number which is used for my business. Is this the norm? 

4 REPLIES 4
daveplus
Pro
Fixes: 10

Re: port phone number from plusnet to sky

You should be able to. See

https://www.broadbandchoices.co.uk/ask-our-expert/can-i-keep-my-phone-number-if-i-change-broadband-p...

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Post released from Spam Filter.

mitchbase
Dabbler

Yes, thanks, but doesn't really help when you have a plusnet adviser on the phone saying "this can happen, its just one of those things". Not good enough really. 

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

UNLESS you are moving from a business account to residential or vice versa

Obligations imposed on a communications provider to provide number portability to its subscribers and to provide portability to other communications providers are set out in General Condition 18 ("Number Portability"). Ofcom has got powers to enforce any breach of that Condition under sections 94 to 103 of the Act. Civil liability for breach of that Condition could also arise, but Ofcom must first give a consent for the bringing of such civil proceedings under section 104 of the Act.

Quote GC18 back to them. It's an OFCOM requirement to be able to port your number.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 159

All migrations are these days Gaining Supplier Led - I think there needs to be some clarity here ...

• Is Sky claiming that Plusnet is blocking the number port? (Very unlikely)
  • Is Sky claiming that BT is blocking the number port? (Some possibility)
  • Is Sky simply saying that they do not (will not) port your existing system into their network?

Your best approach might be to tell Sky that you deem number porting to be a matter of contract and that a failure to do so will mean they do not get the business.  Do not accept Sky's difficulty making.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.