cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hosting e-mail with plusnet when using domains are registered elsewhere.

infobleep
Grafter

hosting e-mail with plusnet when using domains are registered elsewhere.

Hi there
I have some domains registered in 123reg and wonder is it possible to host my e-mail with Plusnet, whilst the domains are registered with 123 reg or does everything need to be in the same place?
An example would be myname@myowndomainname.co.uk
I am a Plusnet business customer if that makes any difference.
Thanks
7 REPLIES 7
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Re: hosting e-mail with plusnet when using domains are registered elsewhere.

Would you need web hosting, and if so where do you need to host it? With us, or elsewhere?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

infobleep
Grafter

Thanks for the fast response.
I am not currently looking for a web host. Just e-mail.
Reading other forum posts they seem to suggest that I can only have my own domain as an e-mail address with Plusnet, if the domain is registered with Plusnet but this isn't the case for all providers of e-mail. If I've misunderstood that then please correct me.
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,147505.msg1298113.html#msg1298113
I'm also interested in aliases for my domain so I can better track if my e-mail address gets sold on.
dick:quote
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

In which case, yes the domain can be hosted with us. You'd need to change the name servers to ns1.force9.net and ns2.force9.net and raise a support ticket requesting we add the domain to your account for hosting only.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

infobleep
Grafter

That's really helpful. I take it, it's just one domain that I can add and not more?
Once added will I then create multiple mailboxes if I require, along with aliases?
Thanks for your help. I will raise the support tickets in due course.
dick:quote
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: infobleep
That's really helpful. I take it, it's just one domain that I can add and not more?

I think it's actually 3 or 5 (can't remember which off the top of my head)
Once added will I then create multiple mailboxes if I require, along with aliases?

That's fine but note that the aliases/mailboxes will be shared between the domains if you have more than one i.e. mail sent to bob@myfirstdomain.co.uk will get delivered to the same mailbox as bob@myseconddomain.co.uk.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

Mav
Fixes: 514

Quote from: Bob

I think it's actually 3 or 5 (can't remember which off the top of my head)

Acoording to here is 3 for Business Broadband / Business Fibre or 5 for Unlimited Business Broadband / Unlimited Business Fibre.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

AlaricAdair
Champion
Fixes: 1

After some years of arranging hosting for email servers for our business we've switched to the commercial version of Google's Gmail based around their Business Apps. It costs around £3 per month per user and deals with the problems of incoming Spam Email and "bad" IP addresses. You can usually redirect your domain names to the google servers in a way which is transparent to your clients. It may be worth a look before choosing an ISP option. You also get office tools such as word processing, spreadsheets etc as part of the bundle.  Their tools are useful if you have people on the road frequently and needing to collaborate on documents.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.