cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

getting a straight answer about contention ratios

goldensteve

getting a straight answer about contention ratios

Hi -
I am currently on a 20:1 service, with 2G monthly allowance, which I am now regularly exceeding but only by about 4G. Nevertheless, at a basic price of 26.99 plus 1.25 for every extra Gb this is seeming extortionate.
I could just switch to another product with more allowances, but nowhere is CR mentioned any more. I fear the change because my service has been very fast and reliable (typically 5.5Mb/s d/l, 768kb/s u/l) and I don't want to lose that.
I can't get a meaningful answer from PlusNet about this - I assume that 20:1 is just not offered any more, but does anyone here have any experience of making the change?
I would be glad of some advice here - offerings from Zen and Nildram are looking way cheaper at the moment.
Thanks in advance
Steve
8 REPLIES 8
James
Grafter

Re: getting a straight answer about contention ratios

Hi Steve,
You're not actually on a 20:1 contention ratio.  These have not existed since the carnation of the IPStream Max product.
What is now offered is improved prioritisation on the BT Network for those on the IPStream Max Premium (previously this was a 20:1 service) above that offered on IPStream Max.
BT Wholesale no longer quote contention ratios.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Contention has nothing to do with sync rate to the exchange. Changing packages will not mean a reduction in sync rate but may mean a reduction of actual data rates seen but even then you may not actually notice any difference.
Contention is now controlled by the ISP and BT no longer quote contention ratios on connections. PlusNet also stopped offering the 20:1 package years ago but allowed those already on it the option to stay for an additionly monthly fee.
What product are you on as the price you are paying seems high, even with the 20:1 option. What are you paying for the 20:1 product?
The equivelent product is IP Stream Max premium (which sounds like what you are on anyway as that gives you an upload speed of 832Kbs rather than the normal 448Kbs for standard Max) but you will see no mention of contention ratios.
goldensteve

Wow! Thanks for the swift answers guys - that must be a record.
That's also helpful, and makes it seem that I really ought to change my product and that the risk of noticing any change in performance is zero.
It would help me though to just know the names of products that get the ipstream max 'premier' treatment.
Thanks again
Steve
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

It can be added to any product for I think £5/month. It's not mentioned anywhere as it was a promotion that has ended but if you ask nicely it can usually be added.
What is your current product name?
James
Grafter

IPStream Max Premium is only on (by default) Business Premier.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

But was promoted and could be added on residential products recently and still can be added as far as I know. It's a manual process to both add it and bill it but it is available.
James
Grafter

Yep, hence why I said by default.
It can be added to residential products for £8/month.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

So does Max Premium give you other benefits aside from the greater upload speed?
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'