Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

email forwarding

grahambeek
Dabbler

email forwarding

Hi,
I'm a bit confused by the use of redirects for forwarding email.
I'd like to receive emails on an address which isn't plusnet, but it seems I can only do this if I then ask everyone that knows my 'proper' email address to use this other one which I can then redirect. Isn't there any way of having all my normal emails forwarded on to a secondary email address as well?
For example, my email address is graham.beek@blah.plus.com which all my clients know. How do I forward those emails to a different address? If I set up a redirect from "blah" it tells me it's in use, so presumably I have to create a redirect called "blah2" and then tell everyone to start using that instead?!
Am I missing something?
regards,
Graham
8 REPLIES 8
James
Grafter

Re: email forwarding

Hi Graham,
If you go into manage my mail and set up a new redirect, can you not tell it to send mail addressed to graham.beek to graham@hisdomainname.co.uk?
The redirect name would just the the mailbox for which you want your mail redirected.
grahambeek
Dabbler

No.
If I select any name that's currently used for a maibox or alias, I'm informed it's already in use or is reserved.
I created a redirect called "company@blah.plus.com" which wasn't used anywhere but that would mean I'd have to tell everyone to send stuff to that address, which all seems a bit pointless.
Graham
James
Grafter

Hi Graham,
You'll need to make sure that you have downloaded all the email to the account that you want to redirect, delete that mailbox and then you'll be able to setup the redirect.
grahambeek
Dabbler

Is there no way of keeping a mailbox and forwarding the email on to another address at the same time? Perhaps a webmail function?
James
Grafter

No, but why would you want to?
All the email is being sent to your redirected address?
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

I do with another provider - double back up for start, this was something I wanted to do with my PN mail too.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Yep me too.  It was something I suggested as well when all the "Manage your Mail" work was going on a couple of years ago.
Phil

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

decomplexity
Rising Star

Were you a PAYH user, you could redirect mail and keep it.
'Tis one of the features of the Qmail implementation there.
[This is not an advertisement!]
Zen from May 17. PN Business account from 2004 - 2017