cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

difference between business FTTC and home?

jimbof
Grafter

difference between business FTTC and home?

Is there a difference in the backend provisioning (traffic priority over home users, etc) or are the differences mostly "features", support and T&C's to support business use?
Are there any ping graphs available for business lines, interested to see if they don't exhibit the evening peak time ping hump.  If they didn't I'd be interested in taking a business connection.
10 REPLIES 10
Ronski
Rising Star

Re: difference between business FTTC and home?

If you can wait a couple of weeks I'll get a ping graph set up on ours - should be installed on the 26 June.
jimbof
Grafter

I'm in no hurry, so thanks for the offer! Smiley
Ronski
Rising Star

Our connection is now live, and I've setup a ping monitor, hopefully it'll work 🙂

We're not yet using the connection, need to get things changed over before we do.
Edit: The above is a live graph, so will always show the last 24 hours.
Ronski
Rising Star

I think as you see above, business FTTC is still affected by the evening traffic, not sure why we're getting the dropped packets though, was fully expecting interleaving to kick in overnight, but it doesn't appear to have.
AndyH
Grafter

Something isn't right with your graph to be getting packet loss all the time. Normally packet loss caused by congestion would be limited to peak hours, but you seem to be getting it 24/7.
How does general performance/usage seem for you?
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

@ Ronski, just out of interest is your Plusnet profile correctly updated to match your BT IP profile or is it still at the default 78Mb value?
I could be wrong but I don't think an optimistic Plusnet profile helps with the packet loss.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Ronski
Rising Star

w23 & AndyH
Thanks for your concern, our connection was only installed on the 26 June, and is not currently being used, I also haven't had chance to unlock the modem (it's a HG612)
I think whats happening is that we have a lot of errors on the line, and I was fully expecting to to see an increase in the ping times Thursday morning, meaning inter leaving has been applied.
It looks like it might have been applied just before 4am this morning, but the ping has not increased (which it usually does with interleaving). The packet loss has decreased though, so I expect more interleaving to be applied to correct the errors.

I also wonder if we are on an 40/10 package instead of the 80/20 package which  we should be on, once I unlock the modem I'll know more. Our PlusNet profile is 37Mb, I'm wondering if we have a much higher attainable than 40, and this is why the ping hasn't increased as our speed has stayed the same - I can't run speed tests via the wireless as it's installed the other end of the building.
We are not using the connection at the moment, we are still on our old ADSL line, I can connect to it via wireless but no one else has the code. Once I'm satisfied the connection is stable I'll get our network switched over to use the new connection.
I've just run a BT Diagnostics speed test (speeds a meaning less as it was by a very poor wifi connection), and it confirms we are on a 40/10 profile:
DS IP Profile for our line is 38.71Mbps
US IP Profile for our line is 10Mbps
I won't push to be put on an 80/20 package until I've confirmed attainable rates, no point if it's not much more.
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

Well the BT speedtest at least proves you're on maximum sync (for 40/10) from the IP Profile so your attainable is almost certainly above 40 - it also blows my though about mis-matched Plusnet profile (line speed) causing the packet loss.
@Jimbof - sorry to take your thread off-course.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Ronski
Rising Star

Quote from: w23
@Jimbof - sorry to take your thread off-course.

Although we've taken his thread of course, it does actually quite clearly answer his question, the graphs quite clearly show the evening ping peak hump.
Anyway looks like interleaving increased this morning, and now the lost packets appear to be gone, apart from one spike.
jimbof
Grafter

Thanks for the info, looks like there is no benefit to going business then. 
I must say I see no ill-effect from the hump, but it is interesting it is still there.