Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worried about my move to Plusnet Business Option 3

atbs1
Grafter

Re: Worried about my move to Plusnet Business Option 3

@ Mark,
"That said, the product economics were worked based on "standard" business use" who at +net made up this definition? Where is it defined please? The majority of businesses in the "City" start at 07:00 and end at 1600 to 20:00.  Most small business outside of there start sometime after that (we start at 09:00 [after I have had to travel down the stairs!]) and end at 17:00 or later (often much later for us, typically).  Personally, I consider option 3 to be an inferior service, and 1 and 2 are not suitable for me either.  After all I am paying a premium... but one wouldn't know it though.  My referral to +net has a 2mb quicker speed for much less - but he doesn't do much downloading or internet activity during the day - so he's happy then; I'm not.
seanbranagh
Grafter

@ burtonbytes
Have a look at this thread I started http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?topic=88090
You will see that for what you need in your connection you have probably made a mistake moving to Plus Net Business option 3. As someone who repairs computers I assume that you probably spend a lot of time downloading driver files from manufactures websites. For this purpose my PN Business Option 3 connection was completely unusable. After running tests and opening several tickets and waiting for days at a time for a response from PN, I finally had enough and requested my MAC. I am now with AAISP. Although usage is expensive 9-6 mon-fri, I now see speeds that I didn't think my connection was capable off, regardless of time of day or application!
F4F

Quote from: Mark
Hi burtonbytes
I'm sorry to hear that you're having difficulties with your service.
I'll address some of the points raised in this thread and in some recent others.
Our original design of the current business products ensured that "mainstream" business apps such as VPN, VOIP etc recieve the highest priority on our network. This remains a very attractive proposition for our Corporate and SME base. From the recent feedback, I fully accept that we may not have given enough consideration to home workers and soho users. I fully appreciate the difficulty an IT reseller / VAR consultant / System builder could experience when building a windows box and needs to pull down several meg of windows updates. You Tube capped at 1MB 7-10pm is also perhaps a bit restrictive.

I also acknowledge that we may not have fully addressed the requirement for home workers to have a decent consumer experience outside of core business hours.
That said, the product economics were worked based on "standard" business use. What impact any tweaking of the rate limits will have needs to be worked out. Looks like I'll have my head buried in a spreadsheet for a bit.
I'll review the current limits with my colleagues and update the community with where we get to. Making no promises, but the feedback in this and a few other threads has been very useful.
Mark

This being my first visit to these forums, the result of wanting to try find a faster class of BB than my current, before looking here it was looking dificult, but after reading some of your comments it is looking nigh impossible to get a faster eqevalent package, please bere in mind when I bought this package nearly 8 years ago and being a customer previouse to this with PN and prier with Madasafish this was one of the top packages at a cost of £24.99 a month including hosting my registered name on the "PlusNet Teleworker Premier up to 8Mb " this was described as a unlimited unrestricted account and has been superb except for the last year or thereabout and although there have been a number of problems with the actual connection requiring repeted router resets, the bigist problem is in streeming media daytime and evenings I window both BBC News and Sky News on top of my worksheet/screen and children/grandchildren running XBox sometime in the normal working day, but on evenings I run Sky on line (all live, cannot DL/Record and 1 or 2 Xbox's if other services are needed, the dificulty increases!
First the Sky allows low/med/high formats and then HD! For HD the server performs a line test and states "Unusable after this even the normal feed will only run in low quality with frequent "Buffering"!  Trying the top "High" quality setting results in play/buffer of around 30/70 and totaly unwatchable (incidently even the news during the day is low qual)
I am told (by Children/GrandChildren)  that the XBox is even worse as evidently after a Kill" the "Respawn" takes place followed by an "Imideat Kill" folowling "Camping" makingn the games virtualy unplayable!
As I said this PlusNet Teleworker Premier up to 8Mb (at the time relativly expensive) has given me aproxamatly as an average 100GB per month sometimes 150GB next 50GB at an aprox ratio of between 30%-40% to 70%-60% prime time to free time so some will say I have had a good run for my money, this I will not dispute, but even somthing that has become "Inexpensive" purly through "Customer Loyalty" is no longer cheep if the needs are not being met, and I feel that the throteling or "Shaping" that has been introdused has made this package nearly unusable for what is needed, why this has occured I do not know as I am sure that it was said that there would be no caps on either total usage or line speed and was reasured that it did not have to conform to the then curent "Fair usage" clause
I was told that the Buisenes class 3 would do what I needed, but reading here, I cannot see that being the case
Mark
I marked your post because you are curently looking at these issues, I can no longer find the specifications for these "Teleworker Premium" packages, but perhaps you can find them, as I remember there were no restrictions on catagories ( do not think they were even defined back then but added later with this throttling on the games and streeming sections the 2 most affected (at least in this package without VOIP or VPN (very much experimental back then)
OK I think the package has been chainged since back when it was offered however I think that  if this Package was reoffered without this limit on the Streaming and Games from what I have read in these last 2 days, I think you would have a package that would suit most of your home workers, especialy if there is a upgrade path to the present 20MB and faster products as they are introdused and brought on line
Hope this helps and that  also you can coment on this package and why these restrictions were appended or is this an effort to move old contracts into the "New Bundles"
T.I.A.
GW.
As a PS
one of the last tickets I raised about the speed issue I was told it was definatly a BT Line Problem and to report it to BT, This I did and was instructed thst the normal tests were not showing any problems and if an engineere camne out and could not find a problem it would cost me £120 So I checked with suport and was reasured it was a line fault, the engnere came and ran tests at the Master box then went to the exchange! Guese What "No Fault Found" needles to say I was more than a little upset! Especialy as it made no diferance to my conection problems and line speeds!
F4F

To OldJim
Thank You, as you said the "Gotchya" did it again when I tried to reply and thank you! so seing as it is Christmas and hopefully all are in good chear, I will do a couple of posts in forum and ask if you would be kind enough to deleet them, this should hopfully get me past these required posts, Ta!
Incidently I have the same on my Koi site but it lets PM go to "One" recipeient only, untill the member has posted 10n times in forum, then limited to 10 at a time to stop "spam" in PM's where Mod's cannot see them!
Hope this is alright and I wish All a Happy \new Year!
GW
F4F

One to count
F4F

2 to count
F4F

And 3 to b be clear I hope, Thank you OldJim!
GW
AlaricAdair
Champion
Fixes: 1

As a new client of PlusNet I'll be interested in the performance of the Business Option 3 service. I presently have two ADSL circuits; one from Demon (via BT) and one from Easynet (using LLU circuit). They both come from the same BT Exchange and are rated at the same speed, yet strangely enough the Easynet LLU always gives a poor line quality even after complete circuit replacement. The Easynet Link is effectively half the speed of the Demon link even though they have the same rating.
I'll initially using the PlusNet ADSL as a backup link to the Demon Link, but I'll be monitoring the service of the PlusNet link. I have a Billion Biguard 30 dual wan router with automatic failover capability. I'll be particularly interested in the impact of any traffic shaping on the PlusNet service for my business usage though line quality and service response will be a factor.
I've been with Easynet for years and I'll be sad to leave them behind. Their service is not cheap, their ADSL is £90 a month, but their tech support is pretty good and there is no traffic shaping.  Generally with my Easynet service I can get to speak with an engineer within 30 seconds if there is a problem. Demon is around £25 a month, unlimited and not shaped with quite a good line quality.
At the moment I share the original poster's concerns; it will be interesting to see how things pan out over the next few months. I came to PlusNet on recommendation, they are on probation.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Simon_M
Grafter

I haven't had either the need or the opportunity to do a lot of mid-evening video streaming just lately, but a very subjective impression is that there has been considerable improvement in the 'out-of-hours' service on business accounts recently.
AlaricAdair
Champion
Fixes: 1

Well in Post #22 I reported I'd recently taken PlusNet's business option 3 as a secondary ADSL for my internet links. I mentioned that so far as my business is concerned PlusNet are on probation.
My primary link is Demon Internet service (cost circa £25 a month unrestricted); my PlusNet Option 3 bills me at £43 a month including VAT. Both services run from the same physical exchange (Deptford London). FTTC is scheduled some time toward the end of 2012, so I guess we might see it mid 2013.
Sadly after some experimentation I've had to set my dual WAN firewall so that the PN service is effectively a backup link. I had hopes I could use the firewall in load balance mode sharing the load between Demon and PN but in practice it was not feasible. I run a consultancy involved with advising large international financial organisations about trading floors and data centres on IT infrastructure and security. As part of that work I need to keep up to date on current news stories, so I'll be browsing a range of news sites as part of my work. I quickly noticed that any site involving video clips gave a totally unacceptable service if the communication was via the PlusNet link.  A side by side comparison established that PN still seem to throttle video on their business Option 3.
This coupled with the initial problems involved with the set up of the service means I've marked PN as not suitable for business our blog http://oaksys.blogspot.com/2011/06/plus-net-vs-demon-internet-as-broadband.html.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
pcoventry
Grafter

I know this is an old thread but there seems to have been some changes to https://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/download_speeds.shtml#bizOption3
I see YouTube is now 2mbps? that's plenty. I see gaming is the same that's plenty.
I'm happy Smiley