cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Worried about my move to Plusnet Business Option 3

burtonbytes

Worried about my move to Plusnet Business Option 3

Undecided
I've recently joined Plusnet, having come from o2. I work from home and run a computer based repair business but also deal with lots of music and video editing. I also use Youtube for business purposes. During the evening my children play on their Xbox which is hard wired to my router.
Anyway I'd had 2 years of being really happy with o2, then overnight things went crazy with my billing address being changed and my contact details modified due to an irreversible computer error. As a home based business for the sake of my accountants sanity I moved to Plusnet. This also involved leaving also BT, with whom my landline had also been with. Basically both companies kept screwing things up and I was happy to consolidate my services with one provider.
I then had a really poor start with Plusnet  and not a good customer experience.
I paid for a router which has never arrived and have still never recieved my log-on details formally on email or post, I had to ring in for those to setup my Billion Gigabit ADSL router, not good! My apparent lack of communication seemed to be glossed over by the phone team.
I have to say then that following the above issues and having setup everything I've been really surprised by the speed decrease of my service. Whilst I'm paying the same rough amount price wise as when I was with o2, my speedtest result have gone from hovering around 6.5-7MBPS to now being lucky if I scrape 4.6, averaging around 4.
However whats really causing me issue is that my business repairs computers and also deals with high-end Mac computers/users and large files and HD video as we do editing work.  Now Youtube for me is totally unplayable on the most modest of settings during the day. It takes ages for a video to load despite never having an issue before. This is a really important aspect for me. I also have been panic'd this evening to discover I've gone over the 50GB usage allowance. This is my fault but having not been on a non-unlimited package before I've now upgraded this evening to option 3, which is very expensive compared to the going rate of others, it's about £4.00 more than BT's equivalent business package. My worry now is that I've got a really mediocre broadband service and I'll be stuck with it for the duration of the 24 month contract. I'm starting to question my own logic, why did I upgrade?
Can someone check my account and also give an explanation as to the speed variation issues and video performances of sites like Youtube taking so long to load? It's certainly not my computer/browser causing issues as they're brand new and extremely powerful. I need some consistency but also don't want the kids kicked off the Xbox which seems to also be happening in the evenings. We don't use any torrent or p2p but for example I do use video conferencing and this has gone from being crystal clear to pixellated and very buggy. Again it only happens on the Plusnet connection, I've attached a copy of the speedtests I've ran so far.
Matt
25 REPLIES 25
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Re: Worried about my move to Plusnet Business Option 3

If it helps, there's a Firefox add-on which will download You-tube videos to hard disk (1-click Youtube Video downloader) as mp4 or flv format files.
It makes sluggish connections usable. Cheesy

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Docrob
Grafter

Matt,
A couple of thoughts:
1. O2 usually use their own equipment and infrastructure  in the local exchange, whereas Plusnet use BT so different speeds may well occur. Plus net are reliant on BT for speed issues. I went through a period where my speed dropped from 7.4M stable to 4.0M unstable. BT maintained there was no fault, however they recently replaced the cable from the exchange and guess what back to 7.4M.
2. You could be on the wrong profile which results in traffic over certain ports being throttled, note there are some restrictions on certain ports on Business 3.
Hope things improve.
Rob
burtonbytes

Thanks for both of your suggestions, I've sent in a support ticket to cover the issues I've raised.
It's all just really frustrating. Especially having the best ADSL modem on the market coupled with a top of the i7 iMac and yet I still can't load Youtube videos without going away for a cuppa for 5-10 minutes.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

I presume you looked at https://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/download_speeds.shtml#bizOption3 (and the tables above that for options 1& 2) before you signed up.
Having read your description of the nature of your business my advice would have been that Plusnet was not a suitable ISP for you.
You would pay more, but the ISP that seems to get all the recommendations at the moment for totally unthrottled speeds and first class support is AAISP - if O2/Be have LLU presence in your exchange AAISP have options to connect you using their network which gets you away from the dreaded BT IP Profile and DLM. Their charges are based on units where depending upon your connection type each unit buys a certain amount of usage - but off-peak usage (outside 9am-6pm Mon-Fri) you get a LOT more allowance than working weekday).
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Simon_M
Grafter

Sadly, I have to agree with jelv. Two thoughts have yet to penetrate the concrete at Plusnet Towers. Firstly, video in general & YouTube in particular are rapidly becoming part of many business processes & secondly, an increasing number of businesses operate from home & therefore need a broadband connection that meets both business & residential needs.
Inevitably, such a product is going to be more expensive than one which only meets one or other of those needs, but anyone with the mental capacity to run a business is unlikely to have too much problem with that concept.
Given that all residential contracts now have a 10 day notice period, I'd also be interested to hear the justification for new business contracts having 12 & 24 month minimum terms. I've been a Plusnet business customer for years & at the moment have no need or intention to move, but I can't predict how either my needs or Plusnet's ability to provide either my existing or future needs will change over a 2 year period. I have every expectation of still being a Plusnet customer in 2 years time, but if I was expected to commit to that now, I would be looking elsewhere. I've just moved my home phone to Plusnet precisely to escape BTs restrictive contract terms, with their 'one chance a year' escape terms.
Lorenzo48
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
I presume you looked at https://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/download_speeds.shtml#bizOption3 (and the tables above that for options 1& 2) before you signed up.
Having read your description of the nature of your business my advice would have been that Plusnet was not a suitable ISP for you.
You would pay more, but the ISP that seems to get all the recommendations at the moment for totally unthrottled speeds and first class support is AAISP - if O2/Be have LLU presence in your exchange AAISP have options to connect you using their network which gets you away from the dreaded BT IP Profile and DLM. Their charges are based on units where depending upon your connection type each unit buys a certain amount of usage - but off-peak usage (outside 9am-6pm Mon-Fri) you get a LOT more allowance than working weekday).

I was about to move to BB3 until I logged on here and then saw the speed management policy - YIKES -
Now with AAISP and my connection is blindingly good - worth every penny. In fact I am paying the same £20 a month as I don't need the daytime use.
But for sure - PN's traffic policy is short sighted and simply hides the issue of a poor network. We are ranked 35th in the world for Broadband (way behind latvia and andora) for very good reason.
Mark
Grafter

Hi burtonbytes
I'm sorry to hear that you're having difficulties with your service.
I'll address some of the points raised in this thread and in some recent others.
Our original design of the current business products ensured that "mainstream" business apps such as VPN, VOIP etc recieve the highest priority on our network. This remains a very attractive proposition for our Corporate and SME base. From the recent feedback, I fully accept that we may not have given enough consideration to home workers and soho users. I fully appreciate the difficulty an IT reseller / VAR consultant / System builder could experience when building a windows box and needs to pull down several meg of windows updates. You Tube capped at 1MB 7-10pm is also perhaps a bit restrictive.

I also acknowledge that we may not have fully addressed the requirement for home workers to have a decent consumer experience outside of core business hours.
That said, the product economics were worked based on "standard" business use. What impact any tweaking of the rate limits will have needs to be worked out. Looks like I'll have my head buried in a spreadsheet for a bit.
I'll review the current limits with my colleagues and update the community with where we get to. Making no promises, but the feedback in this and a few other threads has been very useful.
Mark
Simon_M
Grafter

Quote from: Mark
From the recent feedback

Since before you joined the staff, actually, but we'll let that pass ...    Lips_are_sealed
I fully accept that we may not have given enough consideration to home workers and soho users.

I also acknowledge that we may not have fully addressed the requirement for home workers to have a decent consumer experience outside of core business hours.

Maybe I can stop banging my head against the wall now.    Cool
That said, the product economics were worked based on "standard" business use. What impact any tweaking of the rate limits will have needs to be worked out. Looks like I'll have my head buried in a spreadsheet for a bit.

If the answer to that one is 'significant', it would be wrong to penalise your 'business use only' customers with higher charges. What would be needed is the re-introduction of the Teleworker product with management suitable for both business & residential use. If the cost difference is small, then the additional admin costs at your end won't be worth introducing a separate produce & all business users will get the potential benefit, even if some never use it. However, I suspect that even those businesses who shut up shop at 5pm will still find themselves needing to use streaming & other penalised protocols more & more in the future. I think your definition of 'standard' business use will need to be updated to account for changing business practices.
I'll review the current limits with my colleagues and update the community with where we get to. Making no promises, but the feedback in this and a few other threads has been very useful.

We wait with baited breath. Forgive me if I don't hold my breath though - I'd have been dead a year or two now if I'd done that when this was 1st raised.  Smiley
Simon_M
Grafter

Mark
When I re-read my post above, it's more negative than I had intended it to sound. I am delighted that you are taking this on board & look forward to any changes you are able to bring about.
Simon
Mark
Grafter

Negative I can deal with, it's how we learn Smiley
Since before you joined the staff, actually, but we'll let that pass

When I joined (06) we still had the legacy business products which included the Teleworker options. They had been around since at least 2002.  I was part of the team which shaped the new products in July last year. (dons helmet and body armour and awaits incoming). Feedback then was that there were too many product options, usage levels were too restrictive and failed to target the needs of the (then current) business user. We streamlined the product set, introduced market leading price points and improved our support levels and service delivery. ( I dont do marketing speak well).
One of the key objectives was to deliver a quality of service for small businesses, which made up the majority of our base, whilst attempting to deliver a product suitable for homeworkers, certainly during core hours. The balance of network prioritisation during core business hours was key, whilst trying to strike a balance for SOHO users during the evening consumer peak.
I appreciate that the downstream rates for  some applications, such as You Tube and particularly for download servers such as Akamai, and especially MS patches / updates, driver updates etc, can be restrictive for those working outside of core hours however the benefits in hours cannot be ignored.
Initial indications show that heavy usage from business customers of these services during peak periods is higher than I anticipated. That will ultimately impact any decisions we make, but there's further work to be done and I need to get my calculator out Smiley
Stigfish
Grafter

I'll also be watching this thread and what develops from it as the issues i have streaming on the business option 3 package (in the evening) fell completely on deaf ears http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,85809.0.html
Simon_M
Grafter

Quote from: Mark
When I joined (06) we still had the legacy business products which included the Teleworker options. They had been around since at least 2002. 

... and there were complaints about it for most of that time.
In those days, there was just one complaint - that the product was specified for business use during business hours & failed to meet the needs of a Teleworker when they reverted to residential use in the evenings.
As you have yourself identified, there is now the additional problem that business users of all types are now making increased use of what were once residential only type services at all times of the day.
A year is a long time in this business - even if you start now it'll be 18 months between any sort of product refresh, however minor.
One of the key objectives was to deliver a quality of service for small businesses, which made up the majority of our base, whilst attempting to deliver a product suitable for homeworkers, certainly during core hours. The balance of network prioritisation during core business hours was key, whilst trying to strike a balance for SOHO users during the evening consumer peak.

Feedback on here would suggest that that balance wasn't pitched quite right & wasn't right since well before the last product refresh, certainly as far as the SOHO market is concerned. I'm all for simplification, but the current range of products makes no apparent distinction at all between those who only use the connection for business & those who require dual use of the one account.
Would you also care to comment on my earlier point about contract length, especially for existing customers who change package?
Mark
Grafter

Stigfish
Happy to look at your issue seperately. Streaming is at line speed on that product so your problem is not the same as the issues we've discussed in this conversation.
Have you raised this to our support team for investigation. I'm keen to review their investigation.
taras
Grafter

I'm on the older small biz premier product and in many ways this suites me better than transferring to the newer products.
The spliting of the Broadband products to teleworker, soho small biz and then Business products may be a better idea .
With the soho and teleworker products you could do a mix and match product for business hours and then residential hours(with different weightings) and again the same again for the business products with better voip addons.
Also the idea of improving the voip offerings should be looked at.
as
a) no unlimited talk product
b) no multi user product under £10pm
Both of which gradwell offer.