cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which Router?

thesign
Dabbler

Which Router?

After two years of continuous problems, I have finally reached the end of my tether with the Linksys WAG160n. Angry
With a bout of "creative fixing" in mind for the Linksys, I'm very much in the market for a new router. I was hoping other PN business users would be able to suggest a decent router which will be able to handle my multiple WAN IPs, while not costing an arm and a leg.
Suggestions for the router (and the "creative fixing"  ;)) would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers!
6 REPLIES 6
atbs1
Grafter

Re: Which Router?

I'm on a Draytek Vigor 2710n which provides a wireless connection for my Son upstairs. Never had a problem with.
JamesK
Dabbler

The Billion 7402NX is a great business router. I've used several of them on client sites and they have proven very stable.
AlaricAdair
Champion
Fixes: 1

How many WAN links do you have?
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Anonymous
Not applicable

I will join in this thread as I am also in need of a new router as this week I have had my Linksys WAG54Gv3 stop establishing a connection with the exchange, and my backup DGTeam'ed Netgear DG834GT has now gone into a rebooting loop when it tries to enable the wireless.  Cry 
I have checked the power supplies, reflashed both units, cleared memory to default, and reconfigured, but they are both effectively dead, and now running on my last resort Linksys WAG54Gv2, so I need a new ADSL gateway.
My main requirement is for a router that can handle a block of FOUR WAN IP addresses and be able to route each external IP address to either a separate local subnet, OR route to independent sets of local port forwarding.
My second requirement is that the router needs to restart WITHOUT having to press a power button, for example after a power cut. (unlike my Linksys WAG54Gv3  >:()

So my ideal router would be -
ADSL2+.
PVC routing on 4 WAN IP addresses.
Auto booting after power loss.
At least two 100/1000 ethernet ports.
2.4GHz for wireless 'G' and 'B'.
5GHz wireless 'N'.
I would also have a slight preference for a unit that can stand upright, as the ideal place to place the router is on an 8cm wide shelf behind a door.

Since I got back online yesterday afternoon, I have spent a few hours so far looking at router specs, but it is very hard to read data sheets and handbooks and get answers for the PVC routing, and self power-on questions, so I am hoping someone can recommend a router from personal experience.
My next port of call will be to work backwards through suppliers of alternative firmware such as OpenWRT and DD-WRT, to try and match the features I want (from their supported devices lists), and then go back to the usual product reviews to check for product reliability, etc.
msssltd
Grafter

Quote from: purleigh
So my ideal router would be -
ADSL2+.
PVC routing on 4 WAN IP addresses.
Auto booting after power loss.
At least two 100/1000 ethernet ports.
2.4GHz for wireless 'G' and 'B'.
5GHz wireless 'N'.

I would recommend you have a look at the Draytek Vigor 2830N
Most of the network solutions I provide to small businesses are a little more creative than the standard web browsing and pop mail.  It often means having to fit a business class router to replace the cheap domestic PoS, provided by the ISP, or recommended by 'a mate that knows about computers.'
I used to sell a lot of Ciscos and Junipers but the Draytek 28xx series has gone from strength to strength and they are quicker to program.  Never yet found myself in a corner with a 28xx looking for features that weren't there.  From your spec it looks like the  2830N will do all you are asking.  It has many other advanced features you might find a use for in the future too.  You may get away with the older and cheaper 2820N if you can find one.
One caveat.  The 2830 comes in single and dual band variants, designated by a '+'  on the model number and a higher price.  The dual band model is switchable, either 2.4Ghz or 5.0 Ghz, not both simultaneously.  You realise you can run B, G and N simultaneously at 2.4Ghz and it has better penetration (through walls) than 5.0Ghz ?  To be honest, if you really need 5.Ghz, you might want to consider using a separate access point to do it.
I have spent a few hours so far looking at router specs, but it is very hard to read data sheets and handbooks and get answers
Fun isn't it Smiley  I have a collection of routers that should have worked but didn't.  Typically when needing to use two features  on the spec sheet, which turn out to be mutually exclusive.  E.g. 1:1 NAT or Port forwarding, but not both at the same time. 
The 2830 can be configured with multiple Virtual WANs (PVCs) but I would want to see a sub-netting diagram before making a categoric promise  Restarting after a power outage is no problem.  I manage a couple located up mountains in Virginia - having to press the power button is not really an option.
Hope that helps.
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very many thanks 'msssltd' that info is exactly what I was looking for  Smiley
I've had a good read of the Draytek's handbook (amongst many others), and the models you suggested look flexible enough to cope with most configurations that I am likely to require.
On the wireless issue, I will probably run the high bandwidth 5GHz 'N' on the router, and then use a distant 2.4GHz WAP connected either by CAT cable or by mains powerline adaptors - for the lower bandwidth 'G' and 'B'.
Regarding sub-netting, with my block of FOUR public IP addresses, I want to do something like -
WAN_IP#0  <-->  192.168.0.xxx
WAN_IP#1  <-->  192.168.1.xxx  
WAN_IP#2  <-->  192.168.2.xxx
WAN_IP#3  <-->  192.168.3.xxx
whereas before my main router broke I was doing something like -
WAN_IP#0  can't configure router ! - as WAN_IP#1 is the gateway's default IP address ?
WAN_IP#1  (pvc1) port forwarding to  192.168.4.01x
WAN_IP#2  (pvc2) port forwarding to  192.168.4.02x
WAN_IP#3  unused
Thanks again for your very helpful input !   Cool