Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When no means no (pn marketing email)

mssystems
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

When no means no (pn marketing email)

How do I stop PN sending me spam?

I have just received an offer from PN to attend a business seminar in London, which I am not at all interested in.  I received a similar offer last month.  I can not for the life of me find the unsubscribe link, which as I understand is a requirement for all spam messages sent by UK companies. 

The last time I logged into my customer portal, I was asked to select my preference for marketing communication - There was no, I don't want it, box but I checked none of the choices and was assured I would not be bothered for another year.

Questions

1. Please (PN) explain clearly, how is this not an infringement of my rights, granted by PECA.

2. What the hell do I have to do to stop you (PN) sending me this junk.

3. Should the answer be, we (PN) are incapable of properly administering your (lawful) right to not receive e-mail marketing, then  where do I send the processing invoice.

9 REPLIES 9
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: When no means no (pn marketing email)

mssystems
Aspiring Pro

Sorry @Oldjim but clearly it is not just that easy.

There is nothing I need to change [there].  I do not wish to opt into receiving any news, offers or other marketing, in any way shape or form.  I have never opted into e-marketing from PN or any other party.  I am very careful to avoid it.

https://www.gov.uk/marketing-advertising-law/direct-marketing

" You must check if customers want to be contacted by fax, phone, post or email, and give them the chance to object "

" Customers have the right to stop their information being used for direct marketing "

" You must make it easy to opt out "

" Every marketing email you send must give the person the ability to opt out of (or ‘unsubscribe from’) further emails. "

As far as I can see, PN are just acting unlawfully.

Oldjim
Resting Legend

If non of the boxes are ticked can I ask what the senders address is

mssystems
Aspiring Pro

plusnet at comm dot plus dot net

Oldjim
Resting Legend

That is definitely from Plusnet and assuming that the boxes are unticked as I mentioned earlier you shouldn't have received it

Can I suggest ticking the email one then unticking it

Note that at the bottom of the email it should have said

You’ve received this email because you’re a Plusnet customer. If you don’t want to receive emails like this from us, please click here. Please note that by changing your preferences, you won’t receive promotional emails from Plusnet, including free gifts, competitions and information about new services. Please don’t reply to this email, as it is from an unmonitored address.

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

Now I could be wrong and I'm basing this purely on BT and how they did things. I don't know if they still do this.

They used third parties for these types of marketing emails and they were not actually coming directly from BT - theirs had comms and not just comm in the address.

The only way to get them stopped was for BT to contact their third party direct and have the our address(es) removed from their (the third party) system.

(I never did like the way BT could simply pass our email address on to a third party)

mssystems
Aspiring Pro

@Oldjim wrote:

That is definitely from Plusnet and assuming that the boxes are unticked as I mentioned earlier you shouldn't have received it

Can I suggest ticking the email one then unticking it

You can suggest it (thanks) but I have no intention of doing it.

The onus is not on me to play games on the customer portal.

PN / BT and their partners have a responsibility to ACT LAWFULLY,  just like the rest of us.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 155

@mssystems,

I guess it is a matter of what's more important to you - stop the emails or bring PlusNet (or their agents) "to book"!

Following @Oldjim's advice might well stop the emails.

Fixing PlusNet's flawed communication system could take ages ... especially as there has been no @CRT touch here at all, since your initial post some 2 months ago.

@LouisaMartin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

mssystems
Aspiring Pro

@Townman wrote:

@mssystems,

I guess it is a matter of what's more important to you - stop the emails or bring PlusNet (or their agents) "to book"!

If I intended to bring anyone to book, I would not mention it on here directly.

Fixing PlusNet's flawed communication system could take ages

As I said.  The onus is not on me to fix anyone's flawed communications systems - Not for free anyhow.

The Privacy and Electronics Communications Act. makes it a criminal offence for a UK or EU company to send an unsolicited marketing message without the recipient's explicit consent to receive such messages.  Each and every such message which is sent in contravention of the act carries the risk of a fine up to £5,000.

While it is not a precedent, the small claims court has previously deemed £50 a fair and reasonable cost for a  small business to process each and every spam message.  It would not take many spams lacking an unsubscribe link before gambling the Court costs starts to look worthwhile.

@... especially as there has been no @CRT touch here at all, since your initial post some 2 months ago.

I have had no further spam messages from PN or their agents since I last posted.