cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's best for me to switch to?

jonball

What's best for me to switch to?

This is a bit like a query from someone else on here but I think my requirements are different enough to justify a new topic...
For some considerable years I've been on PlusNet Broadband Premier Option 2 (Monthly Contract, No Modem) for £29.35 a month on a static IP.  I'm reviewing the current products to see if I can get a better service for the same sort of money.
I run a home-based business so I use this for work (including large file uploads) and personal use (general web, streaming, email, etc, plus some PS3 gaming overnight).
I'm on an Ealing exchange which is in market 3 and enabled for WBC on 21CN, which I think means I could get ADSL2+ for no extra cost if I changed to one of the current consumer products.  Is that right?
I occasionally need to send large video files (typically around 200Mb) by FTP to clients' FTP sites.  These are very time-critical (news footage) and are very slow on my current package - in fact it is quicker to send them by 3G!  What is the likely comparison between external FTP on this legacy package (limited to 10Mbps per switch) and current packages with speed limits that are limited to 128Kbs per user at the busiest times?  In addition, Max Premium would seem a good idea for this - presumably it increases external FTP upload speeds unless limits are in place?
I've never been warned about exceeding the 30Gb peaktime usage limit on my existing package so I assume I don't need a very high usage package but am reluctant to drop lower because I can only see the last 3 months usage so don't know whether I've been close to that limit at some points.
Options would seem to be:
Business Broadband Option 2 + max premium (pro: no FTP speed limit, no gaming speed limit; con: ADSL2+ isn't supported on business packages yet) £15+£8.50+VAT=£27.61 in market 3
Business Broadband Option 3 (pro: max premium included, no FTP speed limit ; con: ADSL2+ isn't supported on business packages yet, most expensive, gaming speed limit) £25+VAT=£29.38 in market 3
PlusNet Pro + max premium (pro: no speed limits; con: usage limit at 20Gb is less than my current service) £19.99 + £7.83 = £27.82 in market 3
PlusNet Premium + max premium (pro: cheapest, con: speed limits) £11.99 then £15.99 + £7.83 = £23.82 in market 3
Is it sensible to compare business and consumer products like this or are users on business packages given priority over users on consumer packages anyway?
I'm totally confused... any guidance welcome!
Jon
3 REPLIES 3
atbs1
Grafter

Re: What's best for me to switch to?

well, we changed from consumer premiere 2 to business option 3 2 days ago.  I'd recommend it!
jonball

Thanks Mr SGTE!  Does it seem noticeably faster for normal web, etc, use?
Does anyone else have any input...?
Jon
Simon_M
Grafter

There may be some reluctance to provide anything other than a business product if your phone line is classed as a business line by BT - I'm not sure of the rules. But that may not affect you anyway.
I would have thought any of the business products would suit you unless you want to use P2P or binary usenet, for which the business products are quite unsuited. It's not that the published rate restrictions are so bad, it's just that the traffic management policies kick in & override them at the least sign of the network being busy - i.e. most of the time you are likely to be anywhere near the computer. If you did want to use either of these protocols on a business product, then you need to be using them in such a way as to be able to schedule downloads for the early hours of the morning.
Gaming seems ok though, although I can't speak from personal experience.
I can't speak for the new products, which have more clearly stated monthly download limits, but my understanding is that you would have to abuse the download 'limits' on the older products pretty hard & on a regular basis before someone 'had a word'.