Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What business product am I on?

batfastad
Grafter

What business product am I on?

Hi guys
I run several PlusNet accounts... one for our business premesis, another for a remote worker's location, and another for the home of the boss of the company.
When I look at the listing of business products on the main PN site, it seems we're paying significantly more than those prices listed there.
Just wondered what the reason for that was?
The PN username of the account in question is: dealerworld
Thanks, B
20 REPLIES 20
geewizz
Grafter

Re: What business product am I on?

VAT?
batfastad
Grafter

Wow, didn't think of that. But having just checked... nope not VAT
geewizz
Grafter

Have you got "Enhanced Care" at £8.50 per month on each package?
batfastad
Grafter

Logging into the member centre for that account, it seems Enhanced Care is not active!
And the 34.99 package + Enhanced Care + VAT is still almost £10 short of what we're paying per month.
geewizz
Grafter

How is the invoice itemised? It should have the name of the package on it for starters.
Not applicable

Chances are that you are on a legacy account.
I can't remember the exact pricing off the top of my head, but I have a suspicion that its around double the price of the current offering?
If thats the case - its a simple matter to switch (at no cost) to the current product offering @£34.99(+vat) per month via the member centre.
Not applicable

Oh, to add - I switched my business one to the current one a while back - no change, other than the cost per month. Wink
batfastad
Grafter

Yeah I thought the product should be mentioned somewhere on the invoices. Unfortunately it's not.
All the invoices just show the 1 line... Account Billing (2008-08-26 to 2008-09-25)... then the amount
@James_G: Ok that sounds more like it. We signed up in mid-2003 and are paying 49.99 ex VAT per month
So if I "downgrade" my payment to the current offering, do we lose anything?
Like a change in contention or speeds or anything like that?
I'm interested to know how much money we've wasted because of this. How annoying!
Anyone know when this switched to the lesser amount?
I'm guessing at least a year.
I seem to remember PlusNet re-jigging their product names pretty frequently a while back
Thanks for the info
Not applicable

Contention doesn't actually exist as a fixed number as it used to - these days BT manage their network differently, so the old 50:1 and 20:1 ratios are redundant.
The differences these days in the products are relating to how the traffic is prioritised, as well as the maximum potential upload speed.
On ADSLMax Premium (ie, the BTWholesale product typically sold to businesses and as used by PN for their business packages) the maximum potential upload sync speed is 832kbps
In addition, Max Premium traffic is allocated a higher priority across the BT network.
Once the traffic hits the PN network, its governed by the PN traffic management, which is essentially the same as it is on the legacy product it sounds like you are using. - You get top priority at all times on business protocols - ie, P2P is on an evenish footing as it is with most of the residential products, but web browsing, email, ftp etc are all on a higher priority that most of the home products.
geewizz
Grafter

Ouch! That's a heck of a difference in price. Looking on the positive side, it looks like you're basically in line for a massive price drop with no change to your service. That's a bonus ... as long as you forget about the fact you could possibly have had it before now.
Not applicable

Looking at ours, it used to be around the ~£75(ex VAT) mark, now its ~£35 (ex VAT) - I guess the OP should be grateful he wasn't still on the most expensive legacy product. - Little consolation, but some comfort might be found I guess.
Santiago
Grafter

Do you mean Plusnet didn't write to you to inform you that there was a new product, same spec but much cheaper. No, then maybe they put it in the newsletter then. Do you get a newsletter with business accounts?
Not applicable

If you subscribe to it you do - just the same as with any other accounts.
The electricity board don't write to me to tell me that they could do me a better deal either, and nor does my telephone company.
Would you expect any of them to?
geewizz
Grafter

I don't think Plusnet have done anything wrong here either. If a customer is happy to pay the price that they are paying then all is fair. I know that when I buy something in a builders merchants that they have different prices for different customers. If I haggle I can sometimes get the price down a bit but ultimately it is my choice to agree to the price or go elsewhere. I feel that the same applies to services like the internet. You make an agreement on a price and the level of service and you stick with it until one or other party wishes to renegotiate.
It wouldn't be good practice for Plusnet to minimise their profit margins unles they had to.