Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Webspace taken down as "ABUSE"

FIXED
CrashBangWallop
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Webspace taken down as "ABUSE"

I have 500Mb of webspace bundled with my Business unlimited fibre package, apart from index page saying "Hello World, this page isnt being used" there has never been anything active in this space.

I needed to make a file available for a relative, it is less than the available webspace so I dropped it into HTDOCS under a pathname with no external links and sent the full URL off for download.

A few hours later I get two emails from "Plusnet Abuse Team" and the content has been "archived"

Dear Customer,

It has come to our attention that in the last 24 hours your website
has exceeded its bandwidth allowance by a significant amount.

Unfortunately, because of the amount over the limit, your site has
been archived.  Please contact us through the website if you want
your site to be restored. - we cannot do this by email or over the
telephone.

Your website used 2560042 KB OVER its bandwidth transfer
allowance during the last 24 hours.

What actual use is this free space if putting a file into it then downloading it breaks the usage policy ?

5 REPLIES 5
Thrall
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 23

Re: Webspace taken down as "ABUSE"

The bandwidth and storage allowance for Plusnet webspace is fairly minimal. You may be better of going to a dedicated webspace hosting provider. 

CrashBangWallop
Grafter

I could have followed the links to add more space and bandwidth but confidence in them being any better is quite low.

So for £9 a month I have 2Tb bandwidth and 20Gb storage to muck about with!

Plan B looks much more versatile.

CrashBangWallop
Grafter

Fix

Just to confirm the 2Tb and 20Gb is NOT being provided by Plusnet, after seven years with Plusnet the time has come to start migrating away and signing up for two years on a VPS is a start.

Breaking away from ISP email is the next step, I wont miss the shoddy webmail interface or the comically slow arrival of Email to my phone.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

If you were seeking to use the web space as a means of sharing files via http: then it is not surprising that you exceeded the bandwidth utilisation.  The bandwidth limitation applies to the volume of content accessed.  This post might be helpful 5 (plus.net).

If you want to share content with friends and family only, you would be far better off using a free OneDrive or Dropbox service.  They are designed for doing what you have sought to do, web service hosting space (certainly your legacy facility) was not designed to do that.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

CrashBangWallop
Grafter

"Legacy"

That sums it up nicely, its almost a throwback to dial up days where "Internet time" was metered and BT made money from the call time.
What surprises me is the rather low tech approach of removing the content when an easily reached but not widely published limit is reached.

Virgin media have been using packet throttling for many years to balance load but this facility is managed by trip wires instead, VHS in the age of 4K Ultra HD.
I do wonder if this legacy platform poses a risk, could it be used for a denial of service attack due to its antiquated design ?

It does however have no place at all in being offered as part of an Unlimited Busines Fibre package when it is anything but unlimited.