cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Vonage not working - Netgear AC1900 router.

tiab

Vonage not working - Netgear AC1900 router.

I have a simple setup with Plusnet Broadband and 3 Vonage VoIP business platform phones.  It has been working since March, but since 3 weeks ago we have had issues, resulting in the phones not working at all.  "URL Calling is disabled" was a common error message on the phone.

SIP ALG on the router is disabled and I do not have any other firewall setting enabled, that I know off!

Is anyone else experiencing issues?  Vonage have drawn a blank, they have changed the phones, changed us onto their new platform.  I have rebooted many times and reset.  Are there any known issues with Plusnet or any Netgear settings that I have should consider?  The router is on the latest firmware.

Any help would be very much appreciated as our small business is suffering.

Many Thanks

James

4 REPLIES 4
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Vonage not working - Netgear AC1900 router.

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to Business 

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

What's your Plusnet Firewall set to?  I don't use Vonage (anymore) or a Netgear router, but I've got plenty of VOIP phones connected to a few different SIP providers and never had a problem.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi James.

Sorry to hear you're having issues with your VoIP phones.

I'd agree with @pjmarsh in that it's worth checking the firewall setting on your account as it may be blocking an important port that your VoIP service uses.

Have you also tried a different router, like a Plusnet one? (Assuming we've sent one out to you)

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
tiab

Thank you for the feedback and indeed to PJMarsh.

Vonage have finally found the fault on their system.  We moved from Vonages legacy VoIP system onto a new system that has just gone live as they could not pinpoint the fault.  This did not work.  We were then provided with new phones.  This did not work.  They then thought the new phones were faulty and sent out another set. 

Apparently it was a Priority 1 case for Vonage with a 2-4 hour SLA.  We never got a meaningful call back and spent over 3 weeks without or with an intermittent service.  Our business suffered terribly as a result with revenue for December being 50% of what it should have been!!  In addition to this there was a huge amount of wasted time and associated IT costs checking our firewall settings, changing routers, testing on other broadbands etc..

Vonage finally found the fault at their end, apparently a mismatch with the phones timings/clocks?   Not too sure what exactly. 

The complaints process appears to be working and they have proposed to credit us for 1 months service, nothing in relation to the real expense and reputational damage we have incurred, a very upsetting experience!   Caveat Emptor

For what its worth the Plusnet broadband service has been truly excellent.