Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voip phone problems with broadband. Keeps dropping out

Mark
Grafter

Re: Voip phone problems with broadband. Keeps dropping out

Hi James
I'm a customer just like you. Once upon a time I could have nudged one of the guys to help, but I no longer work for PN.
M
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

From looking at the notes that have been left on the account, the business team seem to believe this may be caused by instability or errors on the line so they've made some tweaks to the SNR to try and reduce the errors that are being seen.
There are a couple of disconnections showing but nothing overly concerning:

I don't suppose you've got a different router you can put your Plusnet connection details in and try have you?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jamesraine
Dabbler

Hi Chris,
Thanks for your reply. Yes when i spoke to john in support yesterday he did mentioned these issues, but my gut feeling is that this isn't the problem. issues are occurring dozens of time a day. Do you know how to apply the below port ranges to the sagemcom, as when i have been in to the settings there is nothing obvious.
5060-5090 UDP
16384-16482 UDP
8000-8200 UDP
20000-65535 UDP
The only other router is a sky one which is at home, I will bring to the office tomorrow and try that.
Chris
Legend

Port Forwarding should be under the 'Advanced Settings' menu, and then 'Port Forwarding'.
You'll probably need to add new game or application for each range of ports.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
jamesraine
Dabbler

Hi Chris,
Yeah im there. So i've clicked the "add new game/application" button and called it Phone. So now i need to select it and assign it to a device from the drop down list. Should my Voip phone be listed in the device drop down menu would you say? As i cannon see it, am i getting this right, do you think?
Chris
Legend

Any devices currently connected to the router should be in that list, if you go 'Home' in the router settings can you see the VoIP phone connected in the 'My Home Network' section?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

James,
If you still have a static IP on the phone form earlier, you might need to set it back to DHCP so that the router see's it.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jamesraine
Dabbler

Hello Chaps,
Thanks for the help with this. I now know how to add port ranges, so hurdle over, hopefully the phone will start working properly. Thanks again.
James
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

James,
I wouldn't bank on it Roll_eyes I suspect the 2704 was using uPnP to do the required forwarding at times when the phone was working.
Some of the other threads about port forwarding issues with the 2704 might be worth reading:-
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,140665.0.html
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,140012.0.html
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,142246.0.html
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,137430.0.html
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,139281.0.html
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,138463.0.html

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jamesraine
Dabbler

It hasn't solved the problem.  Sad I plan to try another router from home tomorrow. I did have a quick look at the links and have read other things like this, it does seam like this router is just garbage. Hopefully will make some headway tomorrow when i swap it out. Finger cross. Thanks again.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Hopefully will make some headway tomorrow when i swap it out
Let's hope so. What have you got to swap it out with ?

jamesraine
Dabbler

I've got an old netgear one and my sky one which i used to use with my voip phone and never had any of these issues or even had to mess around with Porting, which is why it all news to me. So yeah fingers crossed  Smiley
jamesraine
Dabbler

Hello,
Just a bit of feed back.  It is all pointing to this sagem router. I have had my sky router plugged in all day and have not had one network error message or disconnection. I hope to have a continued uninterrupted service. However this does suggest that the Sagem router is not fit for business purpose? and also leaves me without a router at home. I look forward to plusnets feedback.
Regards
James
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Just a bit of feed back.  It is all pointing to this sagem router.
Thanks for the feedback. There do seem to be quite a few reported problems with this router. This recenet one http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,142257.0.html is quite interesting. It does seem pretty basic, especially for a business connection!. In my office we're still using the old 2700HGV ( aka BT Business hub ) because it's so stable and just works, plus we have a spare ready configured in case of failure Smiley

Mark
Grafter

A business customer should never rely on ant ISP's give away router. This Sagem  box is perhaps ok for noddy consumer users but I'd suggest it's even worse than the Thomson / Technicolor box which preceded it.
Your business is too important to rely on "free" and that Sagem is simply  not suitable for any business customer. Check your budget and get on line and order some proper business grade kit. You'll find the Sagem just fine for sitting on your desk. It makes a reasonable coaster and holds a coffee cup reasonably well.
M