cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Voip phone problems with broadband. Keeps dropping out

jamesraine
Dabbler

Voip phone problems with broadband. Keeps dropping out

Hello, Hope someone can help me. I have recently changed my broadband from Sky to plus net and since the move my Voip phone keeps having issues. It is a Cisco handset i use and throughout the day keep getting cut off from customers, and "network error" messages on the phone/all light go amber as if the connection is being lost.
I have contacted my service provider (ring central) but they have pretty much pointed the finger at plus net, which makes sense as the issues have just started occurring. But plus net have said they aren't responsible for insuring my phones work through there internet connection, so i'm stuck.
The only help I have had from from ring central is the attached document , and mentioned something about porting which I don't understand. Also I have turned my plusnet firewall off which hasn't helped.
I'm sure there is a simple enough solution, if any one can offer advise this would be much appreciated.  Smiley
Thanks James.
29 REPLIES 29
AlaricAdair
Champion
Fixes: 1

Re: Voip phone problems with broadband. Keeps dropping out

What type of modem/router has PN supplied to you? I had problems with Polycom VOIP phone which were solved by turning off the PN router firewall (we have a separate firewall as well).
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
jamesraine
Dabbler

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.  The router is 2704N if this helps.  Yeah I did turn my firewall off in firewall settings "Off - Allows all traffic to pass through the Firewall. You’ll still need to use Port Forwarding to make sure that certain applications work properly"  However it dosn't seam to have fixed the problem.
James
AlaricAdair
Champion
Fixes: 1

Have RingCentral told you which ports need to remain open for your voip service, and RPT Port range?  If your router provides the IP address inside your network (DHCP) you may have a NAT setup (Network Address Translation). If you have NAT you might need STUN settings.

Note to Mod:  should this be in the VOIP discussions?
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
jamesraine
Dabbler

Opening specific ports

Hello,
Hope someone can help. I need to open specific ports as below:
5060-5090 UDP
16384-16482 UDP
8000-8200 UDP
20000-65535 UDP
I am having problem with my voip phone loosing connectivity and the the provider insists that these need to me opening and wants a screen shot to prove before my issues can be escalated, even though Plus net assure me that all port are open as standard. My router is Sagemcom 2704
Thank you James
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

mod:note
merged two topics to keep info in one place.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Hi James,
This thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,139184.0.html might be worth reading. Does your phone get an IP using DHCP ?
If so then, as indicated in that thread, it might be worth changing the routers DHCP pool and setting a static IP on the phone to see if that improves matters...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jamesraine
Dabbler

Hi MisterW, Thanks for your help. It appears my phone gets its IP using DHCP (don't know what this means) but does look that way when i go in to my phones settings.
As regards setting a static IP address, do i just make one up? Is there any rules to doing this? Sorry to sound think, just not had any experience with this type of stuff before. Thanks.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

I believe the 2704 has a default DHCP pool of 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.1.253.
Things to try:-
1) leave the phone on DHCP but try fixing an IP of 192.168.1.201 for the phone using the advanced settings ( http://192.168.1.254/expert_user.html ) on the 2704
if that doesn't help then
2)  try setting a static IP of 192.168.1.201 on the phone, you'll need to set its subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 and default gateway to 192.168.1.254.
if that doesn't help then
3) change the default DHCP pool  on  the 2704 using the advanced settings ( http://192.168.1.254/expert_user.html ) to end at 192.168.1.200
see if that makes any difference ...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jamesraine
Dabbler

Hi MisterW,
Thanks again for your help.
I have manged to do 2) on the phone itself but it has made no difference.
However i'm struggling with 1 and 3 as when I follow the nothing seams to be editable, am I missing something?
Thanks James
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

The problem is , I don't have a 2704 to check it with so I'm really going by what wqs in the thread I linked to. Having logged into the router via the expert_user link you should be able to get to a page looking something like that linked in this post http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php?action=post;quote=1234266;topic=139184.16;num_replies=94;s...
From there you should be able to adjust the DHCP pool and/or fix ip addresses...

jamesraine
Dabbler

Hello,
Hope someone can help, I need to input the following port ranges into my  Sagemcom 2704 router.
5060-5090 UDP
16384-16482 UDP
8000-8200 UDP
20000-65535 UDP
Does anybody know how  to do this?
Below is the exact instructions i have had from my Voip phone providers:
On the router/firewall open these ports (to allow the following traffic inbound): It is important to make sure that the below port ranges
are open on your firewall, these ranges need to be defined. It is not good
enough to set a rule for “any / any”.

Thanks James
Mark
Grafter

Have you phoned the Business Support Team. One of the more experienced support team members should be able to help you with this.
Mark
jamesraine
Dabbler

Hi Mark,
Thanks for your reply, I keep getting fobbed off to be honest.
Do you think you would you be able to arrange for someone to give me a call? Would be much appreciated. I just keep getting staff that don't know what i'm asking them diverting the issue and fobbing me off, im going around in circles.  

James
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

james,
You need to remove your phone number, this is a publically accessible forum. PN staff will have access to your account with your number anyway.