cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video streaming painfully slow (Business 3)

jagstang
Grafter

Video streaming painfully slow (Business 3)

I've just made the change from Plusnet Pro to business option 3 because it seemed to suit my needs more with more bandwidth. I run a video production company and use video streaming sites like youtube and vimeo to showcase my work and upload work for client demos.
My new business 3 account kicked in today and my streaming speeds have suffered terribly. The strange thing is that I can download a source video from vimeo at excellent speeds, the broadband speed check reports a 7 meg connection yet neither vimeo or youtube players will buffer fast enough to deliver video.
I had this exact same problem before switching to the pro account, but was assured that this business package had similar traffic shaping settings. It appears however that that's not the case and I'm not best pleased at all to be paying nearly £50 a month for broadband when I can't even use YouTube!
I was wondering if anyone else on this account see's similar results?
10 REPLIES 10
Be3G
Grafter

Re: Video streaming painfully slow (Business 3)

Yep, sounds very similar to the issue being discussed here. Whoever assured you that Business Option 3's traffic shaping was similar to Pro's was quite mistaken unfortunately.
jagstang
Grafter

Yep, just seen the following thread too which explains that the business 3 account limits video streaming from 7 - 10.
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,85809.0.html
It's a bit annoying that this limitation was not made clear to me, like most people running a small business I rarely get chance to stop work at 5:30 so not being able to preview my work online is not going to work for me.
Just called customer services and I'm using the 30 day cool off period to change back to pro. Only problem is that doesn't take effect for a month. On a good note Oliver in business customer services was extremely helpful, thanks Oliver!
Thanks for the response.
jagstang
Grafter

I just wanted to ad this additional note at 22:05 to say that I can now watch video again. The problem was defiantly the 7pm - 10pm block on streaming video. Okay, so it's not really a block but unless you're prepared to wait 10 minutes for a 3 minute video to load on YouTube it may as well be.
Hope this stops somebody else making the same mistake I did.
Best regards
Paul
Lorenzo48
Grafter

Yes, me. Looking to do exactly the same as you until I found this little gem out via the forums yesterday. Now moving supplier.
jagstang
Grafter

That appears to be the only option unfortunately, which is a shame. I've been with Plusnet for over ten years now but it seems I've reached the point where Plusnet simply don't offer a product that's suitable for me. I just want a fixed monthly cost and unrestricted access to everyday Internet content, I'm prepared to pay a premium for that service as well. I don't want / need P2P or file sharing services, I just need to be able to access web content any time of the day without it being intentionally throttled in some way.
The crazy thing about this is that web video content is becoming more and more like a standard utility, homes across the world are already adopting Internet based media services and before long traditional terrestrial / satellite companies are all going to be offering their channels via the web, many do already! With things like the new Apple TV becoming available which relies on streaming content alone (no local storage) this is all becoming a reality very quickly, Plusnet are not offering a scaleable account that allows users to keep up with video technology and instead see it as luxury media that can be throttled along with peer to peer and usenet etc.
I've asked for my MAC address and will be going elsewhere when it arrives.
Lorenzo48
Grafter

Agreed, also happy to pay for a higher level service. However I don't think they have capacity to offer it.
I like the one I am moving to as above, as you basically build your own package. Awesome.
On the times I use (off peak  5pm to 8am on aaisp) 150GB for £20 not throttled w00t  Cheesy so 130GB more for the same cost!
Much more expensive than PN if you use it 9-5 though to be fair to PN.
How many days to wait for unnecessary MAC delay now? 2 or 3 I think.    Roll_eyes
jagstang
Grafter

5 days for MAC, received it today but unfortunately that's not the end of the story.
Along with the MAC code I received nice little note saying that if I use it I'll be charged a £452.43 cancellation charge. I've actually already cancelled using my the 30 day cooling off period but apparently Plusnet's system will not allow that to happen and I have to wait until my next billing period in order not to be charged this cancellation fee.
How ridiculous!
I can't wait to leave Plusnet!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I thought Business users are still on a fixed 18 month contract, only residential is on 10 day
jagstang
Grafter

Not sure, I was given the option of 12 or 24 months.
Thankfully all this is now sorted thanks to the forum staff.

Lorenzo48
Grafter

I go live on 14th Sep  Smiley
To be fair MAC arrived Tuesday early AM (before I got up) after a request on Friday so only 2 working days really. Should be able to click a button online though.