cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Usage Breakdown with billing alert

powernumpty
Grafter

Usage Breakdown with billing alert

I find the usage breakdown useful for spotting unusual traffic on a PlusNet business ADSL. I would like to be able to snapshot it just before the billing period rolls over and the detail is lost.
Would it be possible to send a use summary just before the period ends or to archive the breakdown as a CSV file (for example)?
I know I can use other traffic monitoring methods locally and do but I'd like to plot total streaming bandwidth over time as that is part of the WIFI provision for staff but goes round most logging.
Thanks for any advice.
Stu
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Usage Breakdown with billing alert

+1    Cool
Great idea, that would be very useful !    Smiley

I would also like to see an additional category for indicating tunneled IPv6 traffic,
as a significant amount of my usage is categorized as "Other" - which isn't very useful when trying to work out what has been going on.  Roll_eyes
powernumpty
Grafter

It just seems to make sense (to me anyway) as the info is there until I'd like to review it.
IPv6 over 4 is the Elephant in the room for security, where exactly is your data routed? how well is IPv6 tied down at most locations, I'm guessing not very much.
There is even a danger in having FTTC as the extra traffic "won't hurt" but you could be watching data flowing out of the building as "other".
I tend to download the IPv6 disable fix from MS to keep the network snappy, what do you mean you can't find the server ten feet away because all traffic is being handled by some distant broker since last nights MS updates....
Surely it should be - Set up an IPv6 firewall and negotiation scope, decide what traffic to allow then enable IPv6 on the workstation/laptop etc not the other way around.

Anonymous
Not applicable

What has any of that got to do with anything ?   Crazy
The original point was a request for an end of month snapshot of that months traffic breakdown.
My point was to add a category simply to be able to monitor tunneled IPv6, as around two thirds of my monthly usage is tunneled IPv6, which is unhelpfully described as 'Other' - so making true 'Other' IPv4 traffic impossible to distinguish as it is swamped by huge tunneled IPv6 usage.
Yes I do care about IPv6 security, and have one of the best firewalls available and review the log files daily.  Wink
Despite having my IPv6 tunnel termination point on the WAN side of my router firewall, it would obviously be preferable if Plusnet rolled out native IPv6 - rather than having my traffic routed via an American owned data centre.
Is there any news about when Plusnet IPv6 will become available ?   Undecided
I have my own MS fix for IPv6 - I don't run Windows !   Cheesy
The reason I use tunneled IPv6 is from my experience that streaming connections are more reliable than IPv4 !  Cool
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

Thanks for your feedback - I've passed this onto the relevant team Smiley