Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upload Speed

thesign
Dabbler

Upload Speed

Hello,
I was wondering if anybody else thinks that the 448 and 832kb upload speed limits on PN business packages are low?
Over at another well known/highly rated UK ISP (no naming names) they offer 2.5mb on their residential packages.
I just find it strange that as a business user I can DL at up to 20mb and upload isn't even realistically 0.4. Thoughts?
40 REPLIES 40
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Upload Speed

On a BT based broadband line on ADSL2+ you can get about 1 megabit speeds if your line will stand it.
The speeds you are referring to are on LLU
thesign
Dabbler

This may be true, but 448 is still a very low limit. I have to use a VPN to get a decent upload speed of 1-2mb (how does that even work?)
Oldjim
Resting Legend

I doesn't
If your upstream sync speed is 448kbps you can't get faster than that VPN or not
Epyon
Grafter

ADSL2+ does offer up to 2.5mbps
and as far as i can tell BTs equipment support it
its more like plusnet just don't offer it.
thesign
Dabbler

http://img845.imageshack.us/img845/40/speedm.png
Results of a speed test with the VPN active (and some results below without).
I am limited to 448 upload though Shocked
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Have you raised a ticket on that as something is obviously screwy - Plusnet don't limit upstream except for VPN on Value
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Quote from: Epyon
ADSL2+ does offer up to 2.5mbps
and as far as i can tell BTs equipment support it
its more like plusnet just don't offer it.
The only BT equipment which supports it is ADSL2 Annex M
http://helpdesk.netcentral.co.uk/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=132
and it costs a lot more http://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/4333-bt-launch-faster-upload-speeds-through-annex-m-on-21cn.html
There is an additional charge levied at £7 per end user per month to the ISP which may be higher for end users.
thesign
Dabbler

Quote from: Oldjim
Have you raised a ticket on that as something is obviously screwy - Plusnet don't limit upstream except for VPN on Value

No, no ticket because the site says the upload is limited. http://www.plus.net/business/broadband/
My exchange was upgraded in the last month, what are chances it's using this "Annex M" stuff?
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Something is a bit adrift.
That page hasn't changed since Business Customers were allowed to move to ADSL2+
I think that this supersedes it http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/upload_speeds.shtml where it gives upload speeds as unlimited although the reference to 448kbps under 3 is obviously wrong
If your router is showing an upstream sync of about 1500kbps it should apply to all protocols
As you are a Business Customer I have moved this to the correct section
thesign
Dabbler

It's showing as 448. and has done since I first joined PN several years ago.  Cry
jim:quote
Mark
Grafter

Hi thesign
Can I confirm that you are indeed on an ADSl2+ up to 20 Mbps business product? We havent officially launched ADSL2+ on "single line " business just yet. The advertised business products are ADSL Max, hence up to 448 kbps and 832 kbps.
If you are currently on an ADSL2+ business product as part of an offer, then request that your upstream is uncapped via the ticket system and we'll make that happen.
We'll launch ADSL2+ on Business in the coming weeks, but more on that later.
Oldjim
Resting Legend

Going back to the original question - if your router is reporting an upstream sync of 448kbps then the speed test result when using VPN is faulty and should be ignored
thesign
Dabbler

Hi Mark,
That is correct, I got ADSL2+ today. I made the ticket as you requested, ID 41605651.
Cheers
thesign
Dabbler

Quote from: Oldjim
if your router is reporting an upstream sync of 448kbps then the speed test result when using VPN is faulty and should be ignored

I have tried multiple speed test sites, all give a similar result. My FTP client also reports to be uploading files at the speed given by these tests  Shocked
From the VPN service website:
"due to how the VPN “optimizes” traffic you can usually rely on an increase in upload speed, which can improve the performance of applications such as VoIP."