Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unusable internet

FIXED
Stvp
Hooked

Unusable internet

I'm a Plus.net business fibre user with a 80/20 line which had worked flawlessly at 50/10ish for the last 12 months. However, over the last few weeks everything has become very slow. Some internet pages will not load at all while others load slowly. Occasionally a page will timeout and then suddenly load after Chrome has retried. Speed test will either work fine with ping ~17ms and 45 /10 download speeds or just show a page stating there is a Latency error. Regardless of how well pages are loading (or not) google searches running perfectly and instantly every time. I also use WIFI calling on my iPhone and that seems to work ok too.

I have spoken to support who have checked the line to say all is well and have sent me a new router to try. The new router is currently plugged in to the master socket and I am having the same issues. I have tried multiple computers / phone / devices both wirelessly and wired and all show the same problem. I (think) I see a marginal improvement using Google DNS rather than Plusnets but both are unusable.

Below is an example of a tracert:

Tracing route to www.hotukdeals.com [104.18.143.51]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 4 ms 1 ms 1 ms dsldevice.lan [192.168.1.254]
2 11 ms 12 ms 11 ms gi12-0-0-441.ptn-ag04.plus.net [84.93.253.72]
3 * Request timed out.
4 16 ms 13 ms 13 ms 195.99.125.140
5 14 ms 12 ms 13 ms peer7-et-0-1-1.telehouse.ukcore.bt.net [109.159.252.148]
6 13 ms 13 ms 13 ms 109.159.253.95
7 13 ms 12 ms 12 ms 104.18.143.51

Any help or suggestions would be really appreciated.

Thanks.

8 REPLIES 8
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Unusable internet

Thanks for getting in touch.

I'm sorry to see the issues you're experiencing.

I've done a bit of digging with my colleague @MatthewWheeler and from what we can see we've identified a potential issue which is likely the cause for the problem. Do you by any chance have an account with us at your home address? 

If you do are you able to login to your router settings there at http://192.169.1.254 and reconnect using your username in the format of username@plusdsl.net and the account password.

Alternatively I'd recommend changing your business account password from Here then follow the above steps but reconnect using your business username and password.

Let us know how this goes.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Stvp
Hooked

Gandalf (and Matthew) thank you for getting back to me and for your help.

I think there is a home account in my name but it wouldn't be for this property (I ordered it for my Dad and I don't recall any of the login details). I have changed the password on the business account (which confusingly is just my name rather than a business name) and have reset the password. I then logged into the router, disconnected and updated the password. 

It reconnected fine but unfortunately the problem persists. It seems pages are extremely slow to load and often timeout but if I then refresh they will often reload fine.

Anoush
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 139

Fix

Thanks for coming back.

You'll likely now need to ask your Dad to basically do the same although he shouldn't need to change the password, but to reconnect using the username/password of his account via the router settings at 192.168.1.254

I realise it's probably a bit of a hassle but if I'm right, this should resolve the problems you're seeing.

This is my personal Community Forum account to help out around these parts while I'm at home. If I'm posting from the 1st March 2020, this means I'm off-duty with no access to internal systems.
If this post resolved your issue, please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
Stvp
Hooked

Thank you, I will try this today.

Out of interest, if I just get him to turn off his router completely and disconnect and reconnect mine will that have the same effect? That would be easier for me to do and if it works I can go round and change the details for him.

Also, for confirmation his user name ends in ps mine ends in t. Are these the 2 accounts you can see that look to be interfering with one and other?

Stvp
Hooked

Just to add it has suddenly dawned on me my Mum, who is also on Plusnet, had issues with her router so I gave her my spare Hub 1 and I don't know if I updated the details. If there is a clash I suspect that is where it will be. I will ask her to switch off her router and see how my connection fairs. She only uses it for Sky but has recently said Sky isn't working as it should be. 

Mav
Fixes: 514

Moderator's Note(s)

Thread moved from Fibre Broadband to Business.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Stvp
Hooked

I have now turned off my Mum's internet and mine is working perfectly. I must have changed the router months ago and it has worked until now which is odd but I will make sure it has the correct login details before I switch it back on.

Thank you very much for your help, much appreciated.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

We're glad to hear you've got to the bottom of the issue @Stvp. From checking your account it looks like both routers are still linked to your account which explains why the rotuer currently with your mother may be trying to authenticate your conenction and therefor could effect your connection also. I have takent eh necessary steps to remove all remnent authentication details for the older router and this should stop the interference with your connection if you set up the older router with your mothers details manually moving forwards.
Please let us know if there's anything we can help with moving forwards.