Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traffic shaping

fbnts
Dabbler

Traffic shaping

Hi,
We are just in the process of migrating over one of our Broadband accounts to PlusNet after having problems with Zen Internet.  (their lovely method of killing all connections after reaching their limit and then email you to say you reached 100%!)
This connection is for our office internet but we have another one still with Zen for our phone system.
We were originally with PlusNet some time ago but got sick of the traffic shaping and packet "interfering" that PlusNet decided to do, yet denied, despite evidence to the contrary.
Anyhow, can anyone confirm how things stand now?  Is there still traffic shaping/QoS implemented and how is external VoIP Traffic handled?

Tom
4 REPLIES 4
James
Grafter

Re: Traffic shaping

Hi Tom,
There is definitely Traffic Management / QOS being applied on our Business accounts but definitely in the good sense of the word!
Internal and external VOIP is treated as Titanium traffic giving it the highest priority on our network.
fbnts
Dabbler

Ah Great,
I have just though, our VoIP traffic will be encapsulated in GRE/IP tunnel traffic as our Cisco router has a tunnel connection to our Asterisk VoIP Server.
How would this be treated on the network?  How much of a priority is GRE (Proto 47) on the PlusNet network?
Tom
zubel
Community Veteran

GRE (PPTP) falls under the VPN classification (as does IPSEC) and should be given at least Gold or even Titanium across the business products.
So, tunnelling VoIP over PPTP should give you almost identical performance (albeit with some VPN overhead ofc)
B.
LiamM
Grafter

Were using VoIP in anger on our Business Premier account and we're very happy with performance.  Traffic Shaping certainly only affects my Business line in a good way these days and I can only thoroughly recommend PlusNet connectivity for Business.